Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mostly Ghostly: Who Let The Ghosts Out?

"Based on the successful book series by R.L. Stine, Max Doyle finds he has a few friends living in his house that only he can see."

(Above taken from here).

Being a movie based on a book by R L Stine, I figured it would be good. I have to say I was a little disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I had thought it would be. The plot was great, but there were a few unexplained things. I'm thinking perhaps another of those movies that should probably have just been left as a book. And, no, I haven't read the book, but I know R L Stine's usual writing style, and either his skills as a writer slipped big time when writing this one, or the attempt at making it in to a movie was a failed attempt. Knowing how often that happens - and knowing that the book(s) it was based on was/were very popular - that's the option I'm going with... Not bad, but not great either... The book is probably better.

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

My son used to read R.L. Stine's "Goosebumps" books. We bought them thru the Scholastic Book Club at school, and he had lots of them. He sold the collection several years ago in one of my yard sales.

Sorry the movie was a little disappointing to you. It happens sometimes.

Intense Guy said...

I've not read these books, nor am I familar with the author - but a lot of times, movies just measure up when the book is really good but the setting / activities are strange. Like invisible people -

Lemony Snicket's movies were an exception to this (in my opinion) as was the Harry Potter films - the movie maker obviously loved the story and worked very hard at his craft to make a satisfying film.

Toriz said...

*Nods at Iggy*

You should read R L Stine's books.

Rita said...

Not familiar with these. Sounds like I'll pass. Books are often better than the movies, but I agree with Iggy--sometimes there is great love of the books put into some movies. ;)

Toriz said...

*Nods*