Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lunch ideas (FD)

With making tucks each week for club, I sometimes find I need a few tips on getting variety in my tuck bag. So, I looked for some tips for making lunches for kids, since if they're fun for kids, they're bound to be fun for adults too, right? Then, after finding them, I thought to myself, "yu know what? Some of my blog friends have kids or grandkids, so perhaps they'll find these tips useful too?" So, here they are (and just in time for back to school ideas too):

Just bear in mind, they aren't my tips, and some of the ideas wouldn't be aplicable if you are a vegetarian, or if you or your kids don't like certain items mentioned in the suggestions.

***

A Few Easy Fool-Proof Lunch Recipes

Cookie Cutter Sandwiches
Any sandwich cut with a large cookie cutter; star, heart,
dinosaur, animals, etc. will become an irresistible treat!

Pin Wheel Sandwiches
Spread your child's favorite sandwich filling onto a tortilla
Roll it up and slice it into smaller pieces. Our favorite
fillings are - peanut butter and jelly, lunch meat with cream cheese or Laughing Cow Cheese?.

Cheesy Stars
Use a small star cookie cutter to cut cheddar cheese
pieces. In a separate bag provide crackers or apple slices. You can also use the cookie cutter to cut bologna,
ham or turkey.

Bugs on Log
An old favorite with kids - Fill celery with cream cheese or peanut butter and top with raisins. An equally delicious alternative to peanut butter is cream cheese or Laughing Cow Cheese.

Smiley Face Fun
Spread peanut butter or cream cheese on a rice cake.
Make a face using raisins or any dried fruit and a full
head of hair with coconut flakes. This is a bit hard to pack for a lunch but a zip close plastic bag usually works
pretty well.

Cookie Dippers
Send vanilla wafer cookies along with a favorite yogurt.
Kids love to dip and this way they are getting less sugar
than most packaged treats.

Fun Chips
Use large cookie cutters to cut a flour tortilla or wrap.
Arrange on cookie sheet and toast in a 400 degree oven for 6-8 mins.
Send to school plain or with bean dip for dipping.
Try brushing a very small amount of olive oil or cooking spray.
Then sprinkle parmesan cheese or cinnamon sugar. If you try the cinnamon sugar, send the chips along with a container of applesauce for dipping.

Kids love to dip
Pack string cheese and rolled meat slices with a honey
mustard dressing for dipping.

I made it myself !
I find that my children are more apt to eat a brown bag lunch they've helped to make. Whether it's the cookies they baked with me or the sandwich they made in the morning.

Packaging
The retail world knows...enticing packaging sells. Especially when it comes to kids. Unfortunately, what's inside is not always nutritious. Solve this dilemma by generating your own fun packaging. Before the school year begins, stock up on cheerfully colored re-usable containers, fun party napkins and stickers for plastic bags. A healthy lunch will be fun to eat!

(Above from this page).

Obviously, lunch ideas aren't limited to these suggestions. I mean, you can pack salads, rice - if the person having it has no issues with cold rice - with some kind of sauce (just bear in mind that something like that would need appropriate cutlery included in the lunch bag/box). But maybe the above tips will help to kick start your imagination. And, hey, maybe if that did happen you can post your suggestions in the comments section below? Just a thought!

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I like some of those cute names - like "Bugs on Log" which sounds enticing (I mean the recipe not the name!)

:)

Laughing Cow Cheese? Is that a brand name? I guess happy cows make good cheese.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yeah, it's a brand name... One of my favourite brands as it happens. It's one of the more common brands over here.

AliceKay said...

I've seen Laughing Cow Cheese advertised on TV and in grocery store flyers before.

When I first read "Cookie Dippers", I thought it said "Cookie Diapers". I thought to myself...huh? LOL (i think i've been around Ryan too long...LOL)

Toriz said...

LOL AK!

I guess cookie diapers are what you get with those toddlers who think diapers are good places to store stuff for later... Including cookies? ;)

Rita said...

I remember bugs on a log from when I was a kid! I don't like celery or raisins--so you can imagine how much these went over--ROFL! :)

I bought some Laughing Cow Cheese for the first time--(believe I may have even heard about it from you?)--and then haven't been able to try it because I couldn't chew crackers. Still haven't tried anything crunchy yet after the extraction--but soon. I think it is healing well. Anyways--they do have laughing cow cheese in Fargo! ;)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yeah, that only works if you like the ingredients. ;)

Hope you enjoy the cheese.

MarmiteToasty said...

I will confess to be a wonderful lunch box maker :) - and my sons have often been the envy of their mates and teachers alike....

And Even last year with Jacob out a Sparsholt college his lectures would sit in envy and dribble at his lovely lunches...... and sometimes just to wind them all up, I use a big elephant biscuit cutter to cut out sarnies lol...

He doent always have sarnies but also baguettes and wraps and pastas and rice dishes and always homemade cake ......

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps....... I still have a little 'lunchbox' book that I bought when my eldest started school packed with ideas, its well old now but I will need it again soon ;)

x

Toriz said...

Toasty:
I'd love to hear some tips for some of those excellent lunches. :)