Tuesday, August 10, 2010

An Excellent Mystery

By Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael

"With the siege of Winchester and the destruction of its Benedictine monastery, an elderly monk (dying from wounds inflicted on the crusades) together with a young, mute but devoted companion-monk, arrive at Shrewsbury seeking refuge. As the reader learns more of the crusader, his companion remains a mystery - reticent to keep company beyond that of his master and a young Shrewsbury monk who befriends him. The eponymous mystery revolves around the search for the girl betrothed to the crusader before he took the cowl. She had resolved to become a Benedictine nun, but never arrived at her chosen convent and had not been seen for three years."

(Above taken from this page).

An excellent story, with a surprising ending. I would definately recommend this one to lovers of detective novels. Especially if you are a fan of historical novels too. Yes, I am definately recommending it, even though it practically throws religion down your throat. Despite the fact it is obviously mentioned pretty much constantly, it's easy to see past that to the mystery the story is telling.

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Religion was the "center" of life back in those days. It competed with just plain survival.

So its part of the backdrop - I do like Brother Cadfael mysteries. They show them in the States on public TV along with other mysteries from over there - Like Inspector Lynley which I enjoy too!

AliceKay said...

This book sounds intriguing.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yes, I've noticed that religion was a very important part of life back then. I knew it from history books, and it's obvious when reading stories set then. I find it usually makes it difficult for me to enjoy a story though, hence my comment... It didn't in the case of this book, or even the other I have read from the series.

Rita said...

I love the Cadfael series! I've seen every one of the British series and read a few of the books (the book are even better). Reminds me of the time period of The Pillars of The Earth that I am reading right now. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
I've only read a couple of the books.