Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fairies, witches and Nac Mac Feegle

"Midnight" by Jacqueline Wilson tells the story of Violet, who's obsessed with fairies, and the author of her favourite fairy books; Casper Dream. Which wouldn't be so bad, but she's at an age where fairies and magic aren't accepted by her peers, so she doesn't have any friends. If tat wasn't bad enough, her world was recently turned upside down when her grandmother revealed a secret her parents had been keeping from her and her brother, Will. But then Jasmine comes to Violet's school, and everything changes. I thought it was an enjoyable story, with a sweet ending.

"The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett is the 30th Discworld novel. In it 9 year old Tiffany Aching - with the help of the Nac Mac Feegle - has to rescue her brother from a world of dreams where a wicked queen has taken him to. And "I Shall Wear Midnight" by Terry Pratchett is the 38th Discworld novel. In this one, Tiffany Aching (now almost 16, and a witch) finds herself in the middle of a modern day (well, as much "modern day" as happens in the Discworld) witch hunt and has to fight the source of it all... The Cunning Man... With the eyes of all the other witches upon her. As most - if not all - of you know, I'm a Terry Pratchett fan, so I'm sure I don't need to tell you I enjoyed both of them. ;)

7 comments:

Rita said...

Sounds like you are busy reading again. :)

That corgi :) said...

I echo what Rita said, it does sound like you are busy reading!! It is good too when you enjoy something from a favorite author!

betty

Magaly Guerrero said...

I see you were reading about the drinking, fighting and stealing, huh?

I LOVE me some Pictsies!

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the books. Figured you might. ;)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Well, I actually read these a couple of weeks ago; haven't done the reviews for the books I've read since then (with most it's because I've reviewed them in the past). But, yep, I'm busy reading again! :)

Betty:
*Nods in agreement*

Mags:
Yep, that I was. ;)

AK:
You know me so well! ;)

Intense Guy said...

Wow... you've listened to the first 38 stories already?

Toriz said...

Iggy:
LOL! No. I'd listened to the first 29 before; a couple of years back, but at the moment I'm listening to them in a completely random order as I try and get hold of copies (because I don't want to wait before reading each one). I'm thinking once I get hold of the lot I'll have a Pratchett marathon though.