Tuesday, April 17, 2012

More runic ramblings

Following on from my post back in February called "Runic Ramblings" for the Pagan Blog Prompt for that week.

The runes I won in the blog naming contest never came; I don't know what's happening with them, but I've given up on having them. If they arrive in the future, great, but I'm not holding my breath. Kelly told me to find a set I liked and buy them; I think he's given up on the ones I won too. *Sigh*

I was eyeing up some amethyst gemstone runes, but they kept being out of stock. Then they brought in a new version of them; a slightly smaller (and slightly cheaper) version. I mentioned them to Kelly, along with my concern that they may be a bit too much smaller and therefore difficult to read. He told me to get them anyway, and if I couldn't read them he'd have them and we could get me a larger set. So, I got them, and here they are:

They can't be much smaller, since they're around the same size as the clay ones Rita and her daughter-in-law, Leah, made for me. And, yes, I can read them just fine.

In case you didn't see them when I posted them before, here are the rune symbols they made me:


Thanks again Rita and Leah (and Dagan)! :)

My rune set came with a pouch, but I can't use it. I have an issue with velvet; I think I'm allergic or something? Anyway, I feel like someone's clamped their hands around my throat while pinching my nose closed if I touch the stuff. It's not as bad with things that aren't pure velvet, but still not nice. Anyway, the pouch was "velvet style" (their words) and it was close enough to velvet to make me feel like someone was pinching my nose closed. The result being there's no way I can be focusing energy on runes when all my focus is on remembering how to breathe. So I gave the pouch to Kelly, and brought supplies to make myself another. When I was buying the runes I thought I might need to, so I also brought this purple chord to use when making my bag:

I brought this purple glittery card recently too:

I have three pieces of it; each one 12inches by 12inches. My plan is to make the chart with the rune symbols from Rita on it with just one piece, but I got extra "just in case" since I figured it's best to have too much than not enough. Besides I can always find a use for pieces of card, and purple is always a good thing in my book. And, hey, it was only 50p (a little under $1) for each of them!

So, I just need to get some more tape for my braille labeler, then Kelly can help me make the chart. After that it's just a case of making the pouch for my runes, and I'm all set.

Now to figure out a way to make my tarot cards readable...

9 comments:

Rita said...

Those runes are very pretty! Once you have your own cloth bag for them and your chart you will be all set!! Whoohoo!!

Yes, you can always use extra cardstock. ;)

What a sham, though, to run a contest and then never deliver the goods and refuse to even respond!

Tarot cards...could you number them with your braille label maker and make a chart for them? Or would that interfere with shuffling if you shuffle them?

Connie Mitan said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the runes that you won, but I'm glad you found a set you like that you can read.

~Sunfire

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yeah, I know... But I have this set at least. And amethyst is a good stone for runes; enhances psychic abilities.

The thing I'm not sure on is how to label them; there's room to label each with the name of the card, or I could do it like my playing cards (they have the number then the first letter of the suit on them). But I'm not sure which to do, or how to do it; labels or braille directly. Braille directly is more long-lasting, but could result in slightly curled edges for my cards (which I've managed to keep in excellent condition in the 10 years I've had them). That's why they aren't labelled yet; reluctance to do anything that might damage them.

Sunfire:
Thanks for dropping by! :)

AliceKay said...

Sorry to hear you didn't receive the runes you won in the contest. Sounds like a rip-off to me. The runes you chose look really nice, though. Amethyst is a very pretty gemstone.

The purple glittery card is pretty, too. What you have planned for it sounds like a great idea.

Good luck with your tarot cards. *hugs*

That corgi :) said...

That is terrible that someone didn't follow through sending you what you should have gotten with the runes. That is interesting about being allergic to velvet, but you sure did describe all the classic signs of an allergic reaction to something. Great that you could be creative to come up with a different pouch for them.

betty

Chrislyn said...

Hi Tori. I just wanted to say hello and that I am looking forward to working with you on The Game DT. I'm your new follower.

Chrislyn

Deanna said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the runes you won, but it all turned out well in the end. My granddaughter loves purple too! It is such a versatile color. Can't wait to see the bag you make.

Deanna

Toriz said...

AK:
Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed about the contest. I wouldn't mind so much if the person had replied to my e-mails at least. I mean, it's not right to run a contest if you can't come up with the goods, but I accept that circumstances change. In my last e-mail I gave her the oppertunity to tell me she couldn't come up with the goods. I said that if she couldn't then I'll understand, but I'd appreciate it if she could let me know. Still nothing. I'm not a happy camper, but at least I got my pretty amethyst ones from Kelly!

Betty:
I know; if you run a contest, you should be able to give what you say. Or at least take the time to tell the person why you have to go back on your word.

And, that's what I thought (about the velvet allergy). Strange thing to be allergic to, but at least it's something usually easily avoided.

Chrislyn:
Hi; nice to meet you! :)

Deanna:
Thanks; yep, gotta love purple! ;)

Intense Guy said...

I guess the free runes aren't "in the cards".

Sorry, couldn't resist.