Sunday, April 01, 2012

Fairy tales and hairy tales

I recently listened to some of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytales. Well, I should say "re-listened to" since I've listened to and read them so many times I could tell you the basic story of many of them even without a book in front of me, so to speak. Anyway, I listened to this spacific CD of them recently because David Tennant (I think I spelled his last name right... Anyway, the guy who played the 10th Doctor in the Doctor Who TV series) reads "The Brave Tin Soldier" and I happen to like him. I also love fairytales in general, so it was a great combination; fairytales and one of the few actors I like enough to remember the name of, LOL!

I also recently listened to "The Real Fairy Story Book" by Georgie Adams and Sally Gardner. It's a collection of fairy stories told by fairies. Stories like the one about the tooth fairy who got fired for making a mistake on the first day of the job. They're really sweet little stories!

Another book I recently listened to was "Hairy Tales And Nursery Crimes" by Michael Rosen. It's an amusing collection of fairy tales and nursery rhymes where some of the words are changed to make them silly. Sometimes this is done by changing words for similar sounding words, sometimes by changing the letters around, sometimes by replacing letters, sometimes by removing letters, sometimes by adding letters, and sometimes just by putting something random in the place of the word. That way you end up with stories like the one about the three silly ghosts bluff who were trying to cross the fridge, and nursery rhymes where the dish runs away with the chocolate biscuits.

I also recently watched a fairytale themed movie. It was the movie "Puss N Boots" (which we brought because we mistook it for the "Puss In Boots" movie, which is the story of the Puss In Boots from Shrek). Anyway, "Puss N Boots" is an adaptation of the classic story of Puss In Boots, where a miller's son named Peter is left nothing but a talking cat by his dying Father, while his brothers are given the mill. But the cat is very clever, and helps Peter to gain a castle and the hand in marriage of a princess. Not too bad of an adaptation; definitely amusing, and - being the big kid that I am - I enjoyed it. Still, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't the version we'd thought we were picking up...

7 comments:

Rita said...

Sounds like you are reading a lot these days! Something I should be doing and just can't seem to get into the groove. Have these new books to read and everything. I go in streaks.

Glad you enjoyed the movie, even if it wasn't the one you thought it was. :)

Deanna said...

I have always loved Hans Christian fairy tales. As a child, I memorized so many of them, but I don't believe I could say a single one anymore.

It is a shame you didn't get the movie you expected, but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway!

Deanna

That corgi :) said...

I wonder if kids these days even know some of the fairy tales we all loved as children. I bet it was fun to listen to them, especially by voices you like! Too bad about the movie mixup though!

I hope it is a good Sunday for you Tori!

betty

AliceKay said...

Who doesn't love a good fairy tale? :) I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, even though it wasn't the movie you thought it was going to be. Sometimes surprises are kinda fun. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
That's the good thing with audiobooks; I can listen while working on crafts, doing chores, etc. ;)

Deanna:
Bet you still know the gist of many of them though. :)

Betty:
Well, any kids I have - or have anything to do with - will, because I plan to tell them the stories, and make sure they have access to the books. :)

AK:
*Nods in agreement* :)

Intense Guy said...

THERE were once five-and-twenty tin soldiers, who were all brothers, for they had been made out of the same old tin spoon. They shouldered arms and looked straight before them, and wore a splendid uniform, red and blue...

I can still hear in my head, Bing Crosby telling fairy tales on TV.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
I bet you'd tell the stories well; you were doing well so far! :)