Sunday, April 29, 2012

"Papa Do You Love Me?"

Elizabeth wanted me to write her a poem; she was 10 at the time, and still cute enough that I agreed. Anyway, she had a favourite book; I have no idea what the author was, but I remember reading it to her. It was called "Mommy Do You Love Me?" or something like that, and was about a little girl (I think she was a Native American girl) asking her Mother if she loves her. So I wrote an alternative version. And here it is:

~~~

"Papa Do You Love Me?"

"Papa do you love me?"
"Yes I do, dear!"
"How much?"
"With all my heart!"
"For how long?"
"I will love you until the dog meows!
And the cat begins to bark!
And the fish howl at the moon!"

"What if I ran away?
And I did not come home!"
"Then I would be worried!"
"But would you still love me?"
"Yes I would still love you!
I will love you until the dog meows!
And the cat begins to bark!
And the fish howl at the moon!"

"But what if I became a lion?
A fierce lion! With long sharp teeth!
And gleaming white claws!
And I began to attack you!"
"Then I would still love you!
Because, inside of that lion would be you!
And you are you! Whatever you look like!
And I will love you forever!"

8 comments:

That corgi :) said...

This is very cute, Tori! I could see it in a children's book with pictures illustrating the words!

betty

Toriz said...

Betty:
That's exactly how the original was; the one that was called "Mommy Do You Love Me" or something like that (it might have been "Mama Do You Love Me" come to think of it). I remember it had great illustrations... For example, I think in the part where I wrote "lion" it said "bear" and if I remember correctly the illustration showed the Mother looking scared while a huge bear towered over her; claws extended and mouth open in a roar to show its teeth.

Deanna said...

Very cute, Tori.

I still plan on checking out your book. Just haven't had the time yet.

Rita said...

That is just so sweet!! Love it! :)

AliceKay said...

Cute poem, Tori. I bet Elizabeth loved it.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Thanks! And when you check out the book, I hope you enjoy it as much as others seem to be! :)

Rita:
Thanks; glad you liked it! :)

AK:
Thanks; yes, she did! :)

Intense Guy said...

I think you have a bunch of material for a second publishing!

(and I knew back when...)

Smiles.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
I think so too; I just need to write a few more poems to make up the number I want in the 2nd book, pick a title, and find a suitable cover picture. ;)