Found this article a couple of days ago - I think some time Wednesday - while typing random things in to the search engine when I was "between activities" (not exactly bored, but not really having any idea what I felt like doing). It's from a couple of months ago, but thought I'd share it anyway. I think it was from The Daily Telegraph's web site.
Note: 999 is our version of 911 (for those who don't know).
***~***
Moon mistaken for UFO
Police in Wales were called to investigate a mysterious flying saucer, only to discover it was the moon.
By Urmee Khan Last Updated: 11:17AM BST 05 Jul 2008
The moon was mistaken for a "bright, stationary" UFO which had been loitering for at least half an hour, by a confused local in South Wales who made a 999 call to the police.
Today officers released a transcript in order to highlight the time wasted by unnecessary 999 calls.
The bizzare conversation ran as follows:
Control: "South Wales Police, what's your emergency?"
Caller: "It's not really. I just need to inform you that across the mountain there's a bright stationary object."
Control: "Right."
Caller: "If you've got a couple of minutes perhaps you could find out what it is? It's been there at least half an hour and it's still there."
Control: "It's been there for half an hour. Right. Is it actually on the mountain or in the sky?"
Caller: "It's in the air."
Control: "I will send someone up there now to check it out."
Caller: "OK."
After the police patrol car arrives, the script reveals the exchange between the control room and the police officer sent to the scene.
Control: "Alpha Zulu 20, this object in the sky, did anyone have a look at it?"
Officer: "Yes, it's the moon. Over."
A police spokeswoman said: "This was a recent example of an inappropriate 999 call to South Wales Police. "Yes, we can all see the comical side but calling 999 with an unnecessary non-emergency call could block a genuine call for vital seconds and put lives at risk."
Other bizarre calls cited by the police force included someone asking for help voting for Rhydian on The X-Factor and another requesting a pound coin for their supermarket trolley.
6 comments:
*shakes head* Some people are so damn stupid...
Nah, I don't think it was stupidity. I think it was someone with a very good SOH, and a load of idiotness mixed in.
Personally I think it was someone with an over-active imagination who needs to get out more (especially after dark). LOL!
*snort* OMG, that's ridiculous!!! I can believe the stupditity, but still..... I've gotta wonder, though..... was the guy a bit drunk?!?! ya know..... I mean, that would explain not recognizing the moon for what it was..... *shaking head* Too wierd!
Was the person perhaps drunk? Or maybe needs to be taught a few things about the common objects one will see while living here on Earth. I wonder if he/she would recognize the sun?
Drunk is a possibility. LOL!
All I know is what's in the article though.
Post a Comment