Saturday, November 01, 2008

Films, food, fireworks & photos (LBE & FD)

Firstly I want to catch up on a couple of things I never got around to mentioning through the week. About a film we watched last weekend and about some things my Mam cooked down here that I never mentioned the other day.

So...

Last weekend we watched "Mama Mia" together (we being Mam, Dad, Kelly and I). For anyone who doesn't know, it's a movie about a girl called "Sophie" trying to figure out which of three possible guys is her Dad in time for him to walk her down the isle for her wedding. And the Abba songs are incorperated in to it to make it an Abba tribute or something like that. Anyway, it's a pretty good movie... Well, apart from the fact I found the ending very disappointing. It's not so much it wasn't a good ending, it just wasn't a satisfactory ending.

Anyway, on Wednesday my Mam came down with some of her recipes to see what I was interested in her trying here. She ended up cooking us dinner. LOL!

She made a lovely potato and cheese pie with bacon and ham in it (we added the meat because Kelly prefers to have meat involved in his dinner). And I do mean it when I say it was lovely. :)

Then, on Thursday - when Mam was here making the pumpkin pie and Halloween cake - she made me a Blueberry Roly-Poly. And that was really tasty too! :)

So... Moving on to yesterday (Friday)...

We made last minute plans which consisted of Chinese food for dinner (picked up by Mam and Dad on their way here) and a movie. Well, there was more, but you'll have to wait until a bit further down the post for that. ;)

Anyway...

Dad had chips (fries) with chicken curry and some spring rolls, Kelly had chicken fried rice, lemon chicken and another chicken that I can't remember the name of the sauce for. Mam and I split portions of stuff between us... We had spare ribs, chicken fried rice and sweet & sour chicken, and some duck pancakes... Can't forget those! LOL! Also, Mam had some prawn toast and I had some saute chicken. Plus there was a free pack of prawn crackers because of how much we spent, so Mam, Dad and I ate those between us.

We all ate our fill last night, and Kelly and I finished up the leftovers today. LOL!

Oh! I almost forgot... Kero had some chicken and some duck. We also gave him the bones from the spare ribs. Well, we couldn't sit there eating chicken and duck and stuff and not include Kero, could we?

After dinner...

My Mam took this photo of me so she could tell Dad and Kelly - neither of whom are big on having their photos taken - that it wasn't just them having their photos taken. I was going to delete it, but Kelly seems to think it's a "kinda nice" photo, so... *Shrugs*...




Apparently the sores on the side of my face from the tape that holds my patch on aren't as visible in this photo as in the one where I'm holding the pumpkin. So that's a good start. Shame it's from the angle I'm at rather than because they're healing. LOL!

And here's the photo that MarmiteToasty and Punkn requested of Kelly. :)



And one of my Dad... Since he wasn't included in the photos when we were holding the pumpkin either. ;)


Anyway, as I said, we did something else too...

We had fireworks!

Why fireworks? Well... Wednesday is November 5th. November 5th is Bomfire Night over here. That means fireworks, fireworks, and more fireworks. All because some guy (named "Guy" actually) tried to blow up the houses of parlament a few hundred years ago. Unfortunately for me November 5th is also the day when they want me to go in hospital, which means that my plan of asking my Mam to do a little firework display for me on Wednesday went right out the window. So, she did it last night instead. LOL!

Here's one of the videos my Dad did during the fireworks. At least, I hope this is going to work... I've never tried it this way before.

video

There are about half a dozen more videos (there were more, but I didn't keep them all). I'll have to post the rest later though because Kelly's busy and either Jaws or Blogger (not sure which) has decided that I'm not allowed to use the keys to click on the add video icon.

If I find this hasn't worked though then I'll have Kelly give me a hand putting the videos on our video page instead (I can't do that myself because Jaws doesn't get on with the site).

After the fireworks we watched the movie Mam and Dad brought with them for us to watch together.

It was "Demon Seed" and I'd never seen it before and my Mam just got it so we thought it would be a good movie to watch last night. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's about a sort of synthetic brain that becomes too smart and decides it needs more than just to think and listen to things. So it hacks in to one of the terminals from the building where it is in to the home of the guy who helped create it and forces his wife to produce a child for him. It's not too bad of a movie. Kinda weird, but being an old movie it wasn't all that scary to me... I think probably because I've grown up with things like The Exorcist and Halloween, which make this one look like a kids movie. But it was still a pretty good movie.

***~***

We didn't get many Trick-Or-Treaters. With this being our first year here I wasn't sure how many to expect, but I did expect more than we got. I'm thinking perhaps there were parties going on and the kids were at those instead? *Shrugs* Either way it means I have a load of sweets in the shapes of frogs, bats, spiders, etc to munch through. Wait a sec... Why am I complaining about that? They're sweets aren't they? And they're mine! All mine! *Evil laugh*

OK, well...I think that covers everything I wanted to post about. At least, it does until Kelly's free to help me post the rest of the firework photos.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

10 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

I remember when Mama Mia came out, my aunt and I thought we'd go see it at the movie theatre, but then it got such bad reviews and wasn't out very long. I think I'm glad we didn't waste our money on it. Althought the ABBA music would have been a blast.

AliceKay said...

The fireworks video came out pretty good, Tori. I'm glad you had the chance to experience the fireworks before you had to go into the hospital.

I love ABBA and thought I'd buy "Mama Mia" when it came out on dvd. Karen and my sister saw the movie and they thought it was pretty good. So will see.

Sounds like everyone has a great time at your place. When's the next "party"? :)

Jess said...

I really want to watch Mamma Mia but I haven't yet. I'm looking forward to it - and my mum tells me it is even better than Hairpray (!!!) which is my fave movie ever.
Adding the Abba, it just gets better and better.
Also, love your fireworks video. the little blogger video button still scares me a little.

LadyStyx said...

Wonderful pix!

*wavez to Kelly and Dad* Nice to see some faces to go with the names we're always reading about.

The video was great. I love fireworks and for the most part look forward to them in July. The only thing I dont like is that they get Katy riled up and she commenses to yapping. Ah well!

Intense Guy said...

Hmm.. well, if it wasn't Kelly's head... who's head was it???????

I'm glad you got to enjoy some Guy Fawkes festivities! The fireworks were quite a show.

Tori_z said...

Chicago:
It wasn't a rubbish movie, just a disappointing ending.

AK:
The video isn't playing for me for some reason, glad you were able to watch it though. :)

My Mam enjoyed Mama Mia, so you never know, you might too. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, I just wasn't happy with the ending.

Well, my Mam and Dad are here for dinner usually once a week, and my Mam's here usually every second weekend. As for the next "party"... *Shrugs*... Depends if we do anything for my birthday. If we do then in just under 2 weeks. If we don't then it'll be the buffet I'm doing on Boxing Day.

Jess:
I haven't seen Hairspray, and - to be honest - I'm not bothered whether I do or not. I think the friend Mam borrowed Mama Mia off said the same thing about it being better than Hairspray though, if that helps.

Glad you enjoyed the video. :)

Styxie:
I have posted pics of Dad and Kelly before, it's just they don't get in photo shoots often. The last ones of Dad were from the wedding. I can't remember when I last put up a photo of Kelly though... *Shrugs*... I used to grab quick snaps of him, but now that he's the one taking most of the photos that's not all that easy. LOL!

Kero tends to hide from the fireworks. It's one of the few times we can all go outside and he'll stay inside on his own without the slightest whimper (every other time he starts yapping and/or howling the second we go to shut the door). His first year he sat and watched them with me, but his second year some twat threw one in to the communal garden at our old place and it landed only a few feet away from our back door... Since then Kero's dived for cover at the first hint of fireworks.

Iggy:
I'm not too sure. Kelly brought it home with him, so maybe he'll know? I'll ask him later. LOL!

Glad you enjoyed the video. Will get the rest posted later.

Tori_z said...

Hmm... Video works for me now. *Shrugs* LOL!

Punkn said...

Good job sneaking those photo ops in Tori. I was beginning to wonder if Kelly is real lol.
I haven't seen any of the movies you mentioned and probably won't. I'm just not much of a movie goer. Thanks for the cool share.

Tori_z said...

No problem, Punkn. :)

Tori_z said...

Found out why the clip wasn't playing for me... Seems this PC didn't have flash player installed for some reason. *Shaking head* LOL!