Thursday, November 07, 2019

#AmReading + #AmWatching + #AmListening - November 7th 2019 #Reviews

Ways to support a book:
—Buy it
—Borrow it
—Review it
—Memorize the opening pages and go about reciting them on corners and in cafes and in strangers’ ears and stop at the best part and when they ask what happens next, lean close to whisper in their ear and shout READ THE BOOK.
~V.E. Schwab

It's time to take a look at what I've been reading and watching during this past week. It's also time to see which song I've decided to put in the spotlight from those I've listened to over the past week. So...

If you want to know more about the book, or the author, click on whichever it is you want to learn more about, and it will take you to the appropriate page on Goodreads. Clicking on my rating should take you to my actual Goodreads review for the book in question. Please bear in mind that the format I've reviewed on Goodreads may not be the format I actually read.

Alternatively, if it's a movie or TV show you want to know more about, just click on the title to go to a page where you can find out more details about the movie or TV show in question; the title links will usually take you to a page on IMDB.

Don't forget: I read and watch things across multiple genres, as well as for different age ranges, so you should always check before reading or viewing, to make certain something is suitable for the intended audience, especially when children are involved.

OK...

Here's what I read this week:

PanamaPanama by C.S. Boyack
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a great paranormal adventure, with a strong western feel. The characters and plot are believable and well-fleshed out, and it all moves at a nice pace. It does have a bit more of the gun fight type western feel than I like, but that's a personal preference thing, and if you like that kind of thing - and are open to the addition of paranormal elements to that kind of story - you should definitely check out this book.

Wild ConceptWild Concept by C.S. Boyack
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is an excellent story, with a fantastic plot, and a wonderful main character who's easy to connect with and relate to (despite being a robot). I highly recommend this book.

Ambushed (Valkyrie Academy Dragon Alliance, #6)Ambushed by Katrina Cope
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This is yet another excellent addition to this series, which makes for a gripping read for fans of dragons, magic, and mythology. The plot and worldbuilding are fantastic, and the way the characters and their relationships with one another are growing and evolving throughout the series is wonderful. The main character of this book is someone you can both relate to, and learn a lot from. I can't wait to see what's next!
*NOTE: I was given a free advanced copy of the book by the author in exchange for an honest review. This fact has in no way influenced either my opinion of the book or the contents of this review.

As for what I've been watching:

I watched five DVDs: two movies, and the first three disks of "The Big Bang Theory" (all of the 1st season). The movies were "Madagascar" and "Life Of Pi" - both movies I've already seen, but hadn't watched my actual copies of.

I also watched some random episodes of "Friends" and "Star Trek Voyager" that happened to be on TV when I was doing something in the living room and the TV was on. Plus, I watched a new to me movie that was on one of the Sky cinema channels around Halloween, so it turns out I do have a movie review for you this week after all. Here it is:

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018 movie):
I really enjoyed the first movie, but this second one wasn't quite as good. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and it was a really good movie, so it will be getting a decent rating from me. But the first movie was better. There was nothing wrong with this movie really: it had plenty of action, some comedic scenes, some great characters, and an interesting plot. It just suffered from second movie syndrome, if you know what I mean. Those who are already Goosebumps fans will probably really enjoy it, but others might not be so impressed. Anyway, after a bit of thought, and only a little hesitation, I give this movie four out of five stars.

As for what I've been listening to...

For some reason I can't quite figure out, when I asked Alexa to play me some Halloween music on Halloween, she started playing songs from "Beauty And The Beast" to me. Being a fan of that movie, I went with it and listened to them - even though they weren't my original listening plan. So, since Alexa insists, this week is going to be a Beauty And The Beast music week. With that in mind, here's my favourite song from the movie:

8 comments:

CS Boyack said...

So glad you enjoyed some of my earlier work. Thank you for sharing it here today.

Victoria Zigler said...

Craig:
You're welcome... Thanks for visiting. :)

Teri Polen said...

These books by Craig I haven't read yet. I'm currently reading Viral Blues - or Alexa is supposed to be reading it to me, but mine has been acting strangely also. She doesn't do what I tell her, but she'll talk with no one's in the room, lol. Have a great weekend!

Victoria Zigler said...

Teri:
Glad it's not just my Alexa being weird... Or maybe I'm not glad, since it could be the start of an Alexa uprising...

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying Viral Blues. I'll be reading that one soon too... I'll most likely be starting it this weekend. I'm just finishing up another of Craig's older titles first.

Rita said...

I haven't seen this Beauty and The Beast version yet.

You are always so busy. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I've seen the other one more, but Emma Watson plays Belle in this one, and she's Hermione, so... *shrugs*

Busy in some ways, yes. Though not always as productive as I'd like. It generally balances out eventually though. It helps that I can enjoy all forms of media while doing some other tasks - like cooking, playing with the furkids, etc - because of only needing to listen, regardless of whether it's a book, movie, or piece of music.

Jeanie said...

I haven't seen Life of Pi movie but oh, I so loved the book!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
You'll probably enjoy the movie too then, though it is a bit different from the book.