Friday, July 01, 2011

Craft kits and supplies

Where possible I like to plan ahead, so within a few days of Litha being over with I started thinking about the next holiday we will be doing something for; Lughnasadh/Lammas (August 1st). It was agreed that we would spend some time doing some kind of craft kit or something together, so I needed to find one that we would both enjoy. If it was just me I'd probably have just spent at least a large part of the day working on my knitting projects and such, but Kelly doesn't knit, so I needed to find something we could do together (or, failing that, something he could do while I work on my knitting projects).

I'd heard about a website called "Craft Kits UK" so I went there to look first. It looks like a pretty good website, but it seems to be focusing more on card making than anything, and I didn't really want to do card making. There's nothing wrong with card making; in fact, I'm thinking I might give it another go again in the future, but card making wasn't what I was looking for.

So, I decided to do a Google search for "craft kits" to see what I could come up with.

I found a website called "Make It Now" where they have a nice selection of craft kits, including sewing kits, candlemaking kits, and some "Timberkits mechanical models" which captured my attention...

The following is from the page linked to above:

"Timberkits are a range of mechanical models supplied in component form. Each kit comprises a selection of precision made wooden parts which are assembled using the supplied glue and sandpaper, to produce a finished model with moving parts.

Timberkits are the perfect introduction to mechanical principles and Automata- one can see the effect of each part on the next and it's simple to understand how gears, cams and drive shafts work!

All the components in Timberkits are made from natural wood which is sustainably sourced and FSC certified. Every Timberkit comes with clear, easy to follow instructions, often including illustrations, and all kits are suitable from 8 or 9 years and above. Once assembled, Timberkits can be painted or left to show the natural beauty of wood."

They sound like they'll be fun to make, and since both Kelly and I have an interest in how things work, and most of Kelly's craft-like hobbies involve putting together models... Well, it seemed like a great idea. And when I saw the "Flatbits: Lion"" I knew we just had to get it; especially with my love of lions!

We ordered it Monday morning, and it arrived on Tuesday morning.

I can't wait for Lughnasadh now, because I'm looking forward to building a lion!

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

Those Timberkit craft kits look really cool. I'd never seen anything like them before. I like the lion, but I thought maybe you would choose the dragon because of your gaming background. (i forgot you love lions...my bad) My preference would be the drummer. :)

Sounds like a great idea for Lughnasadh. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Hope you had a good Friday.

Toriz said...

AK:
If I hadn't seen the lion I would have definately grabbed the dragon, especially since Kelly loves dragons. But I had to pick one or the other, and Kelly left the choice up to me, so I went with the lion. If the kits are as good as they sound then we'll probably grab a couple more though, and I can guarantee the dragon will be among the "couple more" that get grabbed (in fact, it will be first to be grabbed). I just couldn't pass on the lion!

Lynn said...

That sounds like lots of fun, I dont think I can pronounce that day though that you will be celebrating your craft for hehehe I cant wait to see the finished craft when it is complete. Happy weekend to you and your family!

Rita said...

What a cool thing to do together! Looks like they have a lot of parts. I love that you can crank them and they move. I think I like it with the raw wood and not painted, but that's just me. Looks like it will be a fun project. :)

Toriz said...

Lynn:
As long as you remember that the "Lugh" part is pronounced "Loo" the rest of the word is easy, because it can be pronounced basically however you think it sounds. I did a post a couple of weeks back called "pronouncing Pagan holidays" where it tells you how to pronounce all eight sabbats; Imbolc, Ostara, Beltane, Litha, Lughnasadh, Mabon, Samhain and Yule.

Rita:
Actually, I don't plan on us painting it either. I don't really see the need to. I think the offer to paint them is more aimed at the children they're officially designed for, personally.

ChicagoLady said...

Those timberkits look like they'll be a lot of fun to make. I can't wait to see pictures next month of the completed lion.

Toriz said...

Chicago:
That's good, because I was planning on doing photos. ;)

Intense Guy said...

Those kits look really cool!!

I can see you making both the Lion and the Dragon!

:)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Just the lion for now, but I'm sure we'll do the dragon at some point. ;)