Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pagan Blog Prompts: Witches And Warlocks, Pantheons,and the Wiccan Rede (LBE)

I know I've already done two posts today, but I wanted to do a post for a couple of the prompts from the Pagan Blog Prompts blog, so...

Prompt: Witches and Warlocks
""Some men who are wiccans are reclaiming the name "warlock" in the tradition of women reclaiming the name "witch". Warlock is commonly said to mean oath breaker. What do you think? Can it/should it be reclaimed?"

I'd like to add:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have all Witches be called Witch, no matter their gender? Why do we need the distinction between males and females that practice magic?"

(Prompt for 21/7/2011).

I've always considered male witches to be just that; male witches. I accept that in nature there are mascaleine and femaneine aspects to all things - there has to be for life to continue (as a general rule anyway) - but I, personally don't feel that there is any need to differentiate in this case. At the end of the day though, it's up to the individual, and if some men wish to be refered to as warlocks, well that's up to them.

Prompt: Pantheons
"Do you have a specific pantheon (group of gods/goddesses) that you are particularly drawn to? Which deities do you work with the most?

Why do you think you are drawn to these over others?

If you don't work with a singular group, which group(s) are you drawn to, and how do you decide which to work with for any given situation?"

(Prompt for 16/6/2011).

The God or Goddess I use depends on what I'm doing. I decide on the ritual or spell I intend to do, and based on that I then make my choice about which God and/or Goddess will be more appropriate for my chosen ritual or spell. If the ritual or spell I decide on already names an appropriate God or Goddess then I will simply use those. If I'm not sure which is appropriate, then I will look it up, or simply use the generic terms of "God/Gods" and "Goddess/Goddesses" for whatever I'm doing.

Prompt: the Wiccan Rede
"While I know some of you are not Wiccan, I do know that lots of people follow a 'golden rule' of sorts. Do you follow the Wiccan Rede ("And it harm none, do as you will.")? Or some variant of?

Feel free to share a story from when following this rule made a huge impact on the outcome of an event..."

(Prompt for 27/5/2011).

I follow the Wiccan Rede, because it makes sense to me to do so. I believe though that all - or, at least, most - religeons have some varient of the rule about harming none, so it doesn't matter whether you follow the Wiccan Rede itself, or just follow that one golden rule in a way that is appropriate for your own beliefs. For example, the ten commandments are, in a way, a form of the same golden rule... They're all about not harming others, treating others as you would like to be treated yourself, etc. Well, that's basically what the Wiccan Rede is about too. Like I said though, I personally follow the Wiccan Rede.

The Wiccan Rede
(Full Version - taken from here)

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.
To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
Honor the Old Ones in deed and name, let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.
Widdershins go when the moon doth wane, and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.
When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.
When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's insight.
Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.
Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.
White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.
Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.
Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.
When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.
As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.
When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.
When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.
Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.
When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.
Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.
These Eight words the Rede fulfill: "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

7 comments:

Rita said...

I like that you follow a kind of golden rule, too. :):)

I wonder why they need a male name different from the female name, too. Oh well.

May the wind come from the south...;)

Intense Guy said...

I beleive in the Golden Rule but I think the Wicacan Rede goes a little too far with the "do as you want" -- I guess I'd have to sit and think a bit to see if there is a "do as you want" that "doesn't harm" others that I wouldn't want to be doing! (if that makes sense).

Whats wrong with witches for "all of them" and male witches / female witches if you have to make the distinction for some reason? I'm for simplifying and getting rid of extra words (the Eskimos would hate me with their 200 words for the various forms of snow thingy...)

Toriz said...

Rita:
I don't know... I'm sticking with "witch" for both though. ;)

Thanks! :)

Iggy:
"Do as you want" doesn't literally mean to do whatever you want, no matter what that is. It means to feel free to make your own choices about what path you follow in life, and what actions you plan to perform, but - as suggested by the part about it harming none - consider the consequences it will have on others ("others" being people, animals, and the planet as a whole) when doing so. At least, that's how I would define it.

I agree; we don't need all the different words... But, as I said, I suppose it's up to them!

AliceKay said...

Interesting read.

I wish every human being would follow some sort of "Golden Rule" but we all know there are some who set their own rules even when destructive to others.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm right there with you in the Witches and Warlocks prompt. It should be a personal decision.

I really like your take on pantheons, maybe because I feel the same way. I'm generally attracted to Hekate and Sin; it seems they are always there; even if I'm not doing anything. The Morrigan and the Greenman too, but I'm not above, below or afraid to call upon any god or welcome any spirits that wants to bring goodness to my life and my magic.

Finally, on the Rede... I think my Golden Rule is common sense.

Lovely blog, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Toriz said...

AK:
I'm glad you found the post interesting! :)

Yes, unfortunately there are those who don't care. Such a shame! *Sigh*

Magaly:
Thanks for visiting! :)

Yes, any God or Goddess who wants to lend a hand is welcome as far as I'm concerned! :)

Common sense... Very sensible rule to live by! :)

Connie Mitan said...

Love that you combined multiple prompts into one post. Whatever makes it easier for you, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing with us at PBP!
~Sunfire