Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baking and babbling (FD)

There's a new Lidl store that's opened on the edge of town, so Mam took me to look around it on Tuesday. They have a nice selection of stuff. Including some things I've not seen in the other places we shop. So I got a new juice to try... Orange, lemon and carrot. I haven't tasted it yet. I don't know if I'm going to like it or not, but I figured it was worth a try. I also got some vegetable flavoured crisps to try, and they were nice.

***

Earlier in the week I made some frozen desserts. I made Choco-Banana Ice-Cream, Berry-Cherry Ice-Cream, Bananaberry Ice-Cream and Rhubarb Crumble. I also made chocolate ice-cream (choco-banana without the banana), citrus ice-cream and choco-bananaberry ice-cream. The citrus one didn't work too well, so I haven't bothered keeping the recipe, and I haven't bothered with the choco-bananaberry one either, because it was basically a bit of bananaberry and a bit of choco-banana that didn't fit in the other tubs, so I shoved them in a tub together. Anyway, other than the citrus one all the desserts seem to have worked out well. Rhubarb crumble is my all time favourite dessert, but this was actually my first time making it from scratch myself. I will admit I didn't quite do as the recipe said though, because I had to cook the crumble in the microwave due to our oven not actually being usable at the moment.

Then, yesterday and today, I made the actual meals. I made some Potato Bean Burgers and some Bubble And Squeak with green beans and peas and red peppers. I also made Cauliflower And Broccoli Cheese, Veggie Cassarole and Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie. Once again, without using the oven.

I also made a couple of Cheese And Tomato Wraps.

Then I put all the stuff in the freezer.

So, now I have a freezer full of food. All made from scratch, but all ready to just be quickly defrosted then heated up. Or, in the case of the ice-creams, just grabbed and eaten.

***

I actually had a decent sleep last night. In fact, for me it was a fantastic sleep... Seven hours! I haven't slept that well in ages! And, to make it even better, it was at night. :)

***

I finally got around to trying out the 3 in 1 shampoo, conditioner and body wash I mentioned that I got from Vegan Store. It's not too bad. The scent doesn't linger for long, so soon after your bath or shower is over you wont be able to smell it, but it does work OK. I think it's a great body wash, a pretty good shampoo, and not too bad of a conditioner. The only real problem with it is that it's only a small bottle, so with using it for all three things it doesn't last long.

When I was in town with Mam on Tuesday, I went in our local health food shop to see if they have the bath stuff and cream I've been using. They do, but the 3 in 1 thing they only have as seporates. But that doesn't matter. Just one bottle is easier, but the seporate bottles will last a whole lot longer, while not costing all that much more to buy.

***

The weather's been really nice lately. Warm and dry, but not too hot. It's been hard to enjoy it with how tired I've been though, and with my backwards sleeping pattern. Of course, today - when I've slept well during the night, and I'm up all day - the weather's not quite as nice. It's a bit colder, and it rained for a while about mid morning.

***

Right, I'm going to go watch Charmed, then have dinner. I'll get to the blogs later.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day, and stay safe! :)

5 comments:

Intense Guy said...

You are doing really well for lacking an oven!

Bubble and Squeak sounds good (I read the recipe).

Hurray for sleeping 7 hours and at night! I was afraid you were going to turn into a vampire!

AliceKay said...

You've been busy making things and putting them in the freezer. I bet they come in handy when you need something in a hurry. Interesting combinations of foods, too.

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep last night. It always helps a person feel better.

It's still hot and stormy here today. One storm went thru this morning, and a severe thunderstorm is hitting the area that had the tornado the other day as I type this comment. It was just on the tv weather alert. Tomorrow is supposed to be much nicer. I can hardly wait. This humidity is enough to get a person down.

I hope you had a good evening. Sleep well. *hugs*

Rita said...

Wow! You were cooking and baking up a storm! I don't know how to cook bigger meals in the microwave. Nice to have all those meals at your fingertips, so to speak.

And so happy that you slept at night and slept well, too!! I sure know how the crazy sleep goes. Wears you down. I hope you sleep as well now tonight, too. Have a grat weekend!! :):)

Deanna said...

That's an amazing amount of cooking you've been doing.

I'll bet you are going to really enjoy that juice. We do a lot of juicing and have found that adding a carrot sweetens the juices. Our favorite is apple and carrot. We put carrot in just about every juice.

Congrats on that good NIGHTS sleep! Way to go!

Toriz said...

Iggy:
The trick is to cook the stuff as much as possible on the rings of the cooker, then the microwave can be used to brown the stuff off.

Nope, not turning in to a vampire just yet. Maybe in time for Halloween? ;)

AK:
Yeah, they do come in handy for quick grabs. I wanted a bit of a variety, and had a load of fresh veg that needed to be used or made in to freezer meals before it went bad.

Yep, sleep always helps.

I hope those storms don't get too bad!

Rita:
I don't either, so I just did it portion by portion. That's why it took me so long to make all the food... The stuff that needed finishing off took ages!

Yeah, I did notice your sleep schedule is as messed up as mine... If not more so.

Deanna:
Will have to try that. And, you're right. I did enjoy the juice. Got a big glass of it beside me now, actually. :)