The other day Iggy tagged me with a 25 things you probably didn't want to know about me me-me thing. Iggy was hoping to find out about how I was so sure the Shetland pony was definately male, so I think I'll start with...
1. I have an obsession for knowing if things are male or female. It irritates me when people wrongly call Willow a boy, and wrongly call Kero a girl, and I worry it upsets animals... It would upset me! So, I don't like to call anything "him" if it's actually "her" and vice versa. Sorry to disappoint those of you who had images of interesting methods of animal sexing, but I usually just ask people who are with me whether the animal is male or female. Failing that, I refraim from using any words which would not be appropriate if the animal was the opposite sex to what the words refer to, such as, "good boy."
2. I have an obsession with names, and like to know what they mean, so much so that I actually have a list of names and their origins and meanings on our pets' page, which lists all the names of our pets, and what their origins and meanings are.
3. Despite the amount of time I spend using technology (computers, TVs, microwaves, etc) I often think it would have been better to be around before all this technology was created. Admittedly there are some wonderful people I know because of the internet (I'm married to one of them) but I think people rely too much on computers, TVs and technology.
4. I've always been afraid of the dark, and still am. A bit of a problem for me since I had my other eye out so lost my light perception. This makes for quite a few issues with monsters like "The Beast" in my daily life. It's not as bad now as it was at first though. Thankfully.
5. Even though I love my little dog (Kero) and my guinea pig (Gwydion), my absolute favourite animal is actually a cat. And the animal I would most love to have as a pet is a lion. I know it's not likely to happen, but I can dream, can't I?
6. I love to talk, and will talk to anyone and anything, and about anything and everything. This includes conversations with myself, with perfect strangers, etc. It also includes topics from the weather to religion, from history to literature, and trivial rubbish like conversations with doors about how they shouldn't jump out in front of people when people are trying to walk through them, lectures to teddies about how they should stay on their shelves, and so on. And, yes, I do answer myself when I talk to myself, because I consider it rude to ignore people, and I especially consider it rude to ignore yourself.
7. I can't help but wondering if maybe I should be locked up or something. Or perhaps the mental hospitals wouldn't actually want me? Ah well, I suppose if they want me that badly they will find a way to come and get me. LOL!
8. I love books, and will read/listen to just about anything. I'll read/listen to it just about anywhere too, though I do have ideas on ideal situations. Like reading horror stories on a stormy night, reading Christmas stories on snowy evenings around Christmas (Christmas Eve is especially good for creating the perfect Christmasy-snowy setting), etc.
9. When I was 6 I rode an elephant, when I was 10 I rode a camel, on and off between the ages of 6 and 10 I rode donkeys, and on and off between the ages of 6 and 15 I rode horses.
10. When I was young I was afraid of water, and nobody knows why. I was 10 before I was given a reason to fear water, but I got over it, and now it's the opposite, and I love the water.
11. I detest makeup, and don't understand why people use the stuff.
12. I hate shopping, especially clothes shopping. The only kind of shop I can enjoy myself in is a book shop. Although, pet shops aren't too bad. All other shops are boring though.
13. I hate having stuff on my feet, and only wear shoes when I go out of the house. When it's warm weather, this means only when I go out of the gate. Although, when it's really, really cold I will put some warm socks on even indoors. The rest of the time I prefer bare feet. Sharp stones don't even make me wish I had shoes on when I step on them.
14. I hate dresses. In fact, I hate them so much that I didn't even wear one on my wedding day. I haven't worn a dress or a skirt since I was about 17, and once I was past the stage where my Mam was choosing my clothes, I hardly wore dresses or skirts before that.
15. Even though I do like to socialise, I don't do well with large gatherings. I don't like parties, and prefer my socialising to be in small groups, or - preferably - one on one.
16. I have a photographic memory, but it's selective. Meaning that if I want to remember it - or if something about it impacts me enough so that my mind considers it worth memorising - then I will remember it perfectly. If I'm not interested in it and nothing about it changes that - with or without my knowledge - then I wont remember it properly.
17. I'd rather watch repeats of shows I like than watch something I'm not too keen on watching.
18. The habit that some people have that irritates me most is talking with your mouth full. I can tolerate most other habits, but talking with your mouth full really, really irritates me.
19. I would like for all of my family to be close, but most of us don't speak to one another. There are various reasons for this, but I still wish it wasn't the case.
20. I'm allergic to melon.
21. I used to be very much lactos intollerant when I was young, but now that I'm grown up have a much higher tolerance for lactos. I still suffer a bit if I have too much dairy though.
22. I love to sing, but I'm not very good at it.
23. I don't sleep well, but when I do finally get to a point where I can sleep I can sleep basically anywhere. Bed, sofa, floor, pile of Lego... I've slept on them all. And no, I'm not joking. I really did sleep on a pile of Lego once... I think I was about 11 years old when that happened. I remember waking up covered in Lego brick patterns, and with a sprained wrist because of the angle it had been at during my nap on the Lego.
24. I won my first competition when I was 7. It was a story writing competition.
25. When I was young I spoke Welsh better than English, despite none of the rest of my family speaking Welsh. Now though it's the other way around, and my English is much better.
OK, I'm meant to tag a bunch of people, but most of the people I know either fall in to the "I don't like to be tagged" catagory, or have already been tagged. So, I'm going to chheat, and offer it up for grabs. Basically, if you haven't been tagged and want to do this, then consider yourself tagged. I hope at least one person does take me up on the offer.
P.S. I will get to blogs and comments as soon as I can, but I'm too tired this evening, and busy tomorrow. I should be able to get to them Wednesday though. Sorry, I've been a bad blogger lately!