Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jedi religion

Recently, I had a religious debate with a Jehovah Witness. During the debate, I argued that it was possible for anyone to claim the existance of something and begin a religion based on it. The usual response when I say that, is that while that is true, they are fooling themselves. However, this time the response was a surprise to me.

JW: "Yes. And, actually, I recently met someone who told me her son was a Jedi."
Me: "Right..."
JW: "No, seriously! I thought it was a joke too at first, but it turns out to be a real religion."

I thought, perhaps, that they were just pulling her leg. Or, perhaps, that she was playing along with my comments. However, I was curious, so I decided to look it up, only to discover that it really does appear to be a real religion. No, seriously! There were LOADS of results that came up when I searched for "Jedi religion" on the internet.

Curious? Well...

"The Jedi Church believes that there is one all powerful force that binds all things in the universe together. The Jedi religion is something innate inside everyone of us, the Jedi Church believes that our sense of morality is innate. So quiet your mind and listen to the force within you!"

"The Jedi Church recognises that there is one all powerful force that binds all things in the universe together, and accepts all races and species from all over the universe as potential members of the religion."

Above taken from here.

So, there you go. There really is a Jedi religion. It just goes to show... You really can start up a religion if enough people believe in the existance of something.

Tori

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

Yep, that's true.

I hope you're having a good Saturday. It's hot here today...86F on my front porch in the shade with a very stiff breeze.

Celticspirit said...

That Jedi religion sounds pretty good to me!

val said...

It is written: A woman shall compass a man and create a new thing in the earth (Jer 31:22), the man is Satan(Isa 14:16), the new thing is now delivered to the world. It is written: Satan has deceived the whole world (Rev 12:7), until the heel of time(Gen 3:15). Check out the bruising of Satan at http://thegoodtale.blogspot.com

Rita said...

I've got to tell Dagan about this--hehe! :):)

Wendyburd1 said...

Oh wow...shouldn't it really just be the church of George Lucas then?

Intense Guy said...

I personally know a lot of "followers of Johnny Depp"...

:)

There are people "out there" that will believe in anything and everything.

The only good thing about it is it keeps things from getting boring - and the Jedi Religion at least sounds basically benign...

Toriz said...

AK:
Not quite that hot here, but pretty close!

Yep, I had a good Saturday. :)

Barb:
Yes, it does. I don't plan to convert to it, but it still sounds pretty good.

Val:
Thanks for that, but I think I'll pass. ;)

Rita:
You'll have to let me know what he says. LOL!

Wendy:
Yeah, I suppose it should. If I'd started it up then it would have been.

Iggy:
LOL! Yeah, I wonder what their belief system is... "Thou shalt worship the one known as Johnny Depp as a God," is probably in there somewhere. ;)

Very true. I didn't notice anything about, "sinners will go to Hell," etc, which is a good start. And religeous debates can often be quite interesting.