Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Herbal teas (kinda FD)

I started drinking herbal teas originally when I was about 17. It was my first attempt at a vegetarian diet, and I saw all these herbal teas on the shelves of the health food shop that hadn't been around all that long in the town near me at that time, and I wanted to try them. So, that's exactly what I did. I didn't try many, but I tried a few. Of course, now I'm drinking them again, because of cutting down on caffine due to the issues I'm having with my anemia. But, anyway, I know a couple of the people who visit my blog drink herbal teas, so I thought I would share the ones I have tried, and let you know what I thought of them.

Nettle - I like nettle tea, though I enjoy the types with peppermint or blackberry added, because it adds a bit of flavour to it. Nettle seems to me a bit bland without anything added.

Blackberry And Nettle - A sweeter alternative to plain nettle, and one I really enjoy.

Nettle And Peppermint - Another alternative to plain nettle, which I find very refreshing. When I can get hold of it, since it seems to be difficult to get hold of, I like to start my day with this one.

Nettle And Camomile - The camomile in this version stops the nettle from seeming as bitter, while still not having the tea be as sweet as the version with blackberry in it.

Hawthorn - Very similar in taste to nettle, though perhaps a little more flavour to it.

Lemon And Ginger - Very strong taste (due to the ginger) but good. Not one you want to leave to brew for too long though.

Cherry And Cinnamon - A very nice tea, which is good for soothing sore throats and said to be good for easing chesty coughs. It has a slightly sharp taste, but is sweet enough in taste for even those with a sweet tooth not to need to add anything to it to sweeten it.

Pure Peppermint - A very cool and refreshing tea, which I drink a lot. This one even tastes really nice cold, and is great served that way on a hot day.

Camomile - I'm not too keen on this one on its own, since it seems to need something with it to bring out its flavour, and I find it to be a bit bland on its own.

Camomile And Spearmint - A refreshing alternative to pure camomile. The spearmint seems to bring out the camomile's flavour while at the same time sweetening the tea. Very tasty.

Echinacia - Quite bitter tasting, but said to boost the immune system. The kind with raspberry is better than the plain version taste wise.

Echinacia And Raspberry - The raspberry stops the echinacia from seeming so bitter, making this one a lot tastier than echinacia in its pure form. However, echinacia in its pure form is easier to get hold of than the version with raspberry in it.

Green Tea - Quite bitter tasting, and another one you don't want to leave to brew too long unless you enjoy a strong cup of tea. Best served with honey in, in my opinion.

Raspberry, Cranberry And Elderflower - Very tasty, not too sweet, and not too bitter. Also, very good for treating colds. Not advisable for anyone pregnant or trying for a baby though, since elder can cause miscarriage. Needless to say, I don't drink this one now.

Orange And Cinnamon - Very sweet, but quite refreshing. Another of those teas that is good cold as well as hot.

Rose - It has a slightly sweet taste, though isn't as sweet as many. Another one that's good cold too, though I personally prefer it with some heat to it.

Blackberry And Apple - Sweet, but not overly so. Also good both hot and cold.

Peppermint Punch - Like the refreshing peppermint, but a bit sweeter.

Raspberry, Strawberry And Loganberry - It has a weird sort of flavour, but a nice one. Sweet, but not too sweet.

Pure cranberry - It has a sharp/bitter sort of taste, and I don't think much of it in its pure form. It's meant to be good for kidney infections (and possibly other types of infection) so that's the only time I suck it up and drink it... When I have a kidney infection. Now, if the cranberry is mixed with something else, that's different. But in its pure form? Um, no. Not really my cup of tea. No pun intended, LOL!

Blackberry - When warm, it's like warm Ribena, when cold, it tastes almost exactly like Ribena. Very tasty!

Honey And Vanilla - Not bad, though not one of my favourites. I haven't had it in a while, but if I remember rightly it's quite sweet. That'll be the honey, I expect.

Blossom Earl Gray - An interesting - and pleasant - combination of flavours, combining to make a very nice tea, which tastes really good hot, and just as good cold.

There may be others I have tried and don't remember the names of. I actually know there's one, but I can't think what it was called. I know it's Vanilla and something, but I don't remember what the "something" was. It was some chinese plant or something (well, I say Chinese, it might not have been) and it was some time ago I tried that particular one. It might have been "Jin Sin And Vanilla" or something like that, but I'm not sure.

If you have tried any that don't appear in the list, then I would appreciate your opinions on them.

Tori

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

That's an interesting list of herbal teas. The only kind of tea I drink is an occasional iced tea (regular kind) on a hot summer day, usually at a picnic.

Ginseng?

Toriz said...

AK:
*Shrugs* I was trying to pull the word from the dregs of my memory, and I really can't remember exactly what it was.

Intense Guy said...

I like Cinnamon flavors - like Apple and Vanilla. I've never tried the orange or cherry ones.

I like a really milky, strong camomile tea some times - it really helps me relax.

The bitter teas I don't usually drink - japanese tea ceremony tea for one.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Apple and cinnamon sounds nice.

I never thought of adding milk to the camomile... I'm going to have to try that. I'm so used to the fruity ones that don't work with milk that I don't tend to add milk to any of them.

Deanna said...

That is a nice list Tori. I drink a lot of teas, but most of them aren't herbal. I might have to try switching to the healthier teas!

MarmiteToasty said...

I cant stand any of them new fangled flavoured rubbish :) just normal builders tea for me, steaming hot, milk NO sugar..

x

Toriz said...

Deanna:
That's up to you. :)

Toasty:
Well, I always prefered proper tea, but the caffine in it messes with my iron level (apparently) so I'm better off with the herbal teas.

Rita said...

Funny, I have a sweet tooth, but it doesn't apply to my coffee or tea drinking. Black coffee and plain teas--if anything adding just a titch of milk if they are bitter. Mostly drink teas with caffeine, but I do like chamomile and mint teas. Never have liked any teas with fruit in them much--except lemon--so that limits my herbal teas. Much more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker. Was really interesting to read about all the teas, tho, and what you thought of them. That took a long time to do! Thanks! :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
You're welcome! :)