Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Short story: The Lonely Little Orange Cone

Story by Tori Zigler
Photo donated by Iggy

~Based Loosely on actual events~

Once upon a time, there was a very lonely little orange cone. All his friends had gone out and found jobs guarding things, and working on construction sites, but he didn't seem to be needed anywhere.




"I wish I was useful," sighed the lonely little orange cone. But nobody heard him.

Then, one day, while the cone was sitting by the side of the road feeling sad, a car parked beside him. Some people got out, and one of them spotted the little cone.

"Little cone," she said, walking over to him. "why are you so sad?" she asked.

"I'm so lonely," replied the cone. "And I don't have a job to do."

The person smiled, and - patting the little cone on the head - she said, "I have a special job for you."

"You do?" asked the cone excitedly.

The human nodded. "Yes," she said, just to be sure he knew she was answering in the affirmative.

"What is it?" he asked, his excitement mounting.

"Well," replied the human. "We need to go in to the dentist, and we might be a while. I think it would be very useful to have a guard for our car while we are gone. Would you be that guard?"

"Yes!" replied the cone, his eyes shining, and a huge smile forming on his cone shaped face. "I'll guard your car while you are gone!"

With a smile on her face, the human left the cone to his guard duty, and went in to the dentist. He stood proudly beside the car, smiling happily, and feeling useful for the first time in his life. He was still all alone, but he didn't feel lonely, because he was being useful.

When the human returned, the little cone was still standing there, guarding the car, and beaming with pride.

"Thank you, little cone," she said to him, as the humans climbed back in to the car.

"No," said the little cone. "Thank you. You made me feel useful for the first time in my life. This is the best day ever!"

And the little cone waved happily as he watched the car drive away.

Once the car was out of sight, the cone sat back down on the side of the road. But he wasn't sad any more, because he knew that he was just as useful as the other cones.

"Yes," said the little cone to himself. "This was the best day ever!" And he sighed contentedly, with a smile still fixed firmly on his cone shaped face.

11 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I think you could get this as well as many of your poems published Tori.

:)

I really enjoyed this short story - I think I'll try to find a couple pictures that would fit it. :)

Hugs.

Toriz said...

Thanks Iggy. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

Deanna said...

What a great stori, Tori. And the moral is awesome. Everyone needs to be needed. You made my day!

And I agree with everything Iggy said.

Deanna

MarmiteToasty said...

you should write childrens stories :)

x

Toriz said...

Deanna:
I'm glad you enjoyed the story. And, thanks! :)

Toasty:
Thanks! :)

I have written a few children's stories for fun. I don't have copies of all the stories I've written though.

Rita said...

Love the story! Everybody needs to feel useful. ;)

Toriz said...

Thanks Rita. :)

Intense Guy said...

The lonely cone picture is just right...

...for an awesome story!

:)

Toriz said...

Thanks Iggy, and thanks for donating the photo. :)

AliceKay said...

I loved this story. Well done, Tori. (i also think you should have this published, as well as your poems)

Toriz said...

Thanks AK. :)