Saturday, June 05, 2010

Tested products from The Vegan Store

I mentioned on Rita's blog recently that I brought some items from somewhere to try. The place they came from is www.veganstore.co.uk, which is an online shop that sells 100% animal free products (food, cosmetics, clothing... It's all there). I found the place while looking for the kinds of things they sell.

Anyway...

The item I mentioned on Rita's blog was a moisturizing cream. Avalon Organic Moisture Cream to be exact. I believe it's the ultimate one I bbrrought. I chose to try this spacific cream, because I absolutely love the smell of lavender, so figured I didn't care if I smelled like lavender after using the cream. Anyway, I have now tried it out, so am ready to let people know what it's like. It really does have a strong lavender smell, though the smell doesn't linger for all that long once you've rubbed the cream in to your skin. At least, I don't think it does. There is a slight oilyness to the texture, but not to the point where you'll be rushing to wash your hands.

I also brought the Method 3 in 1 Body Wash/Shampoo in apple. But since I had a bit of my old wash stuff to use up, and don't like to have several things on the go at once, I haven't tried that out yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Plus, I brought both the Aloe Dent Natural Mouthwash and the Aloe Dent Fluoride Free Toothpaste (sennsative variety) to try. They are really good (or, I think so) and leave your mouth feeling wonderfully clean. Be warned though, the mouthwash has a rather strong flavour, so you neither need nor want to have too much of it in your mouth to do the job.

But, did I only buy these items? Oh, no! Not when there are cookies and sweets on offer! I mean, I was paying postage anyway, so why not? ;)

So, I brought some Nana Cookie Bites in fudge. I do not recommend these! They tasted like slightly sweetened, half cooked, lumps of flour. I'm willing to try other vegan cookies, but I have no intention of having these again. I ate them so as not to waste them, but... I never thought I'd say this about a cookie... I didn't enjoy them one bit!

What I did enjoy though were the White Chocolate Butttons and the bar of Organic Faux Milk Chocolate that I had. OK, I havven't eaten the whole bar yet, and I brought two packs of the buttons, so I still have one left. But that's nothing to do with not liking them. It's to do with trying not to be a pig, since I've already eaten all the above mentioned cookie bites, plus the very tasty, very coconut flavoured Coconut Ice Grab Bag that I also brought. In my defence, I needed to taste them, and I did only buy small amounts...

I plan on trying out a few other things from the same place, so when I do (and when I try that body wash/shampoo) I will let anyone who is interested know what the items were, and what I thought of them.

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

Interesting items. I'm not sure I could go without meat or dairy products. With my farming background, it would be very difficult for me to switch.

I'm glad you're trying new things. The lavender lotion sounds nice.

I hope you're having a good Saturday. I need to get ready for work soon. We have thunderstorms heading our way today, and tomorrow is supposed to be heavy rains. Much different from last weekend.

Toriz said...

AK:
I'm not actually going without dairy items, but I am trying to watch my intake of them. That's something I really should have been doing all my life really, because I have a bit of a lactos issue. Mostly though, I was just trying the snack stuff to see what it's like, since I know a little boy who is 2 years old, and has a severe dairy allergy, and since most of his family is vegetarian, is on a vegan diet. Besides, it was nice to enjoy a bar of chocolate without worrying that I was having one dairy item too many that day.

I've grown up surrounded by farms, but that actually makes me want to eat meat less. I'd love to work on a farm, but could never bring myself to kill and eat any animal I had on there. And I know for a fact that if any animal I had been caring for was sent to be slaughtered, it would put me off meat. If I wasn't already a vegetarian, I mean.

Intense Guy said...

So, the Nana Cookie Bites ...bite.

I hope you find a two Tori thumbs up cookie soon!

What does Kelly say about the lavender cream? :)

Celticspirit said...

Ohhh yumm. All those goodies you bought sound yummy. The cream sounds very nice too.
Have you ever heard of shampoo bars? You use them instead of a bottle of shampoo and they are supposed to be made of all natural stuff and much better for the hair. I'm going to order some samples from a website I found to test them out. They sell small sample sizes for just that purpose. I'll let you know how that goes.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Well, if I find a cookie that gets two thumbs up then I'll let you know.

He hasn't really said anything about it. No point me asking his opinion though, because if he doesn't volunteer an opinion then you can guarantee the reply I'll get is, "as long as you like it, that's all that matters."

Barb:
No, I haven't heard of those. Let me know what they're like when you've tried them.

Rita said...

I like lavender, too. That lotion sounds nice. Good to know about the icky cookies cause I have a sweet tooth--hehe! I'm not giving up dairy, either--so far--but I'd be interested to know if you do find a good vegan cookie. Thanks for sharing!! :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yep, I'll let you know. :)