Sunday, October 16, 2011

About 6:00 am on Carl's birthday

Why am I up?

I don't know.

No. Wait. I do know.

It's because I fell asleep early.

I was meant to be doing dishes, but I fell asleep listening to the distant sounds of fireworks. Why were there fireworks? Because of the Hastings week celebrations (an anual celebration in the Hastings sort of area; I'll tell you more in another post).

Kelly went out and "hopefully" got me some photos to post. I didn't go though. Why? Because of Kero.

He's scared of fireworks; he has been afraid of them ever since the inncident when he was about 18 months old and some idiot threw a firework in to our garden just as I was about to take the dogs outside. Stupid idiots where we lived at the time!

Anyway, we got him these special calming dog treats; they work fantastically! I've never seen him so mellow; he spent the evening sprawled on the sofa with not a care in the world (normally fireworks send him running for cover while shaking with fear). Thing is, with how mellow and dopey he was there's no way he could have done the walk. And I wasn't going to leave him home alone in case the effects of the treats wore off (or his anxiety got too bad for the treats to work or whatever, since he has anxiety issues normally, so he never gets left totally by himself for more than a few brief moments). But if I stayed quiet I could hear the fireworks from home (YAY for good hearing).

Except that I was tired, and sitting still and quiet, and... Well, you can guess the rest!

So I've been up since 3:00 am.

The good news though is that I finished reading all the posts for the Grim Blog Party, so can start later on reading this week's posts for the Get Off Your Broom challenge.

Also, I got out of doing the dishes, because Kelly did them for me (although, I do feel a bit bad about that, because he cooked dinner so I was meant to do them).

The bad news is that I'm still not sleepy, and I need to get up in a couple of hours so I can start my day, and so I can have done all my morning routine - get washed and dressed, have breakfast, walk Kero, etc - before 10:00 am. Why before 10:00 am? Because it's my brother (Carl)'s birthday today, and I said I was calling him at 10:00 am to wish him a happy birthday. He probably wont mind if I call a bit later, but I will. When I say I'm calling at a certain time, I like to do so.

No, I don't know why it matters, but it does to me.

Anyway, I'm going to go and check some blog posts until it's time to actually get up. LOL! Then I'll go through my morning routine, call Carl, do a bit more unpacking, and go check out some of the Get Off Your Broom posts (and any blog posts I don't get to from blogs I follow before my alarm clock goes off at 8:00 am).

Have a great Sunday, and check back later for the first post about our move. Yeah, I know... Finally; sorry for the delay... So many things I want to post! ;)

6 comments:

Diandra said...

I have heard a few sips of beer work on most dogs, too... unless our family dog (who is now ancient and living with my sister) - he hates fireworks, but the guy who had him before us was an alcoholic and beat him. He had chain scars all over his chest and flanks when we got him. (This still makes me cry, and plan nasty stuff for that guy.)

That corgi :) said...

Happy birthday to your brother! I hope he has a great birthday!

Poor Kero with the fireworks; Koda is the same. He hears them and comes running to us. So they do have a celebration of the Hastings battle, looking forward to hearing about that when you share it.

Last night too we had fireworks. I thought for sure we would be too far away from where they were set off but we did hear some of the noise and Koda came running under hubby's chair. Our city was celebrating its 100th year birthday!

Hope you aren't too tired today!

betty

Intense Guy said...

Happy Birthday Carl!!!

Sounds like you were "fresh aired" out and a bit tuckered too!

Rita said...

I had a couple chihuahuas when I was young that were scared of fireworks. The male was so terrified and shook so badly he couldn't even stand up! They never had such a thing as calming dog treats back then. I have never heard of them, but they sound like a great idea for dogs who get so scared like that.

Glad you fell asleep. Better sleeping early and well than not sleeping. Nice that Kelly did the dishes for you. :) You'll just get to bed earlier tonight, too, probably. I hope you sleep well again. :):)

AliceKay said...

Happy Birthday, Carl!

I hope you're able to get a decent night's rest tonight. *hugs*

Toriz said...

Diandra:
Awww... The poor dog! Some humans are so cruel!

Beer wouldn't be an option for Kero; we never have any in the house (neither of us drink alcahol).

Betty:
Poor Koda! Yes, that's just how Kero is; shame that incident with the firework happened when he was young, because the year before he'd been happily sitting on my lap on the doorstep watching the fireworks without any issues. If he was still like that then we could have all gone to see the fireworks together. Anyway, I'll do the post about them when I get a chance; having a serious case of "too many pies, not enough fingers," (as my brother puts it) at the moment.

My brother seemed to be enjoying his birthday when I spoke to him.

And, I did surprisingly well with staying up and getting things done on Sunday; got a lot done, and made it to about 8:30 pm before falling asleep.

Iggy:
*Nods* Guess so!

Rita:
They were new to me too, but let me tell you... They work VERY well!

I agree; a good sleep at the wrong time is better than no sleep at all! And, yes, I slept every night since we've been here... Even if it's been at the wrong times, LOL!

AK:
I'm doing pretty good with getting good sleeps in... I just wish they'd happen at the times I want them to, LOL!