Saturday, October 01, 2011

Get Off Your Broom: A Witchy Fitness Challenge (LBE and FD)

The following is taken from Serenity's post about the Get Off Your Broom: A Witchy Fitness Challenge on her blog.

"I would like to invite you to join my first Get Off Your Broom: A Witchy Fitness Challenge!

Over the summer, I stopped exercising and started eating nothing but junk. I have since paid for it. My tummy has gotten as big and round as the full moon. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But what isn't an exaggeration is that my children tell me that I look 6 months pregnant every single day and that I barely have any pants that fit. It's time I got serious and did something!

It's not that I haven't been trying. I've exercised sporadically (usually on Mondays) and resolved to start eating a more plant based vegetarian diet just about every single week. I just can't stick with it. I realized there are probably plenty of of other pagans, witches, and Wiccans out there that are struggling to get in shape too. We need to support each other!

This is why I am calling it "get off your broom." Muggles, to borrow the term from Harry Potter, get off the couch! Us magickal folk get off our broom!

I also want to point out that the subtitle of this challenge is a witchy fitness challenge. This challenge isn't just about losing weight. Losing weight and getting healthy don't always mean the same thing. Fitness experts now say that the number on the scale doesn't matter as much as you think. What's more important is how you feel, how your clothes fit, if you are losing inches not just pounds, and if you are getting stronger. So I want your goals to be more than just lose x amount of pounds.

Here's how the Get Off Your Broom: A Witchy Fitness Challenge will work:

When is the challenge?
The challenge will begin Oct 1 and run through Dec 31. It is a 3 month challenge because I want to be exercising and watching what I eat all throughout the holiday season. It seems like the holidays from Halloween/Samhain to Thanksgiving to Christmas/Yule are all about food, food, and more food! We also tend to exercise less during the cold, wintery months so getting in shape is even more challenging than at other times of the year. Making the challenge a little longer will allow some leeway.

How do I participate?
Begin by signing up with Mr. Linky below this post or you can leave me a comment. I will then put your name and your blog (if you don't have a blog then you can leave your Facebook or Twitter info) on a page that will list all the participants. My pages have been moved to the sidebar. Most fitness challenges have specific goals that you strive for. Some are to lose a certain amount of pounds, run a certain number of miles, or exercise for s specific length of time each week. One goal does not fit all so you will choose your own goals for this challenge.

Check-ins will be every Saturday
I am starting the challenge on a Saturday, so I will make check-ins then too. I encourage you to share your weekly progress in the comments on check-ins. I want this challenge to help us come together and support one another! Comment on each other's check-ins and give support. I want us to be cheerleaders for each other!

Check-ins won't be the only time I post though! I am going to be posting on diet, fitness, and weight loss, both mundane and magickally throughout the next twelve weeks. I have blogged about nearly every topic a domestic pagan and witch has to deal with, except physical health! Without our health, we don't feel well enough to do anything else. It's vital to maintain our health for our families.

When Do I Have to Sign Up?
You can sign up anytime! It doesn't matter if the challenge has already been going on for weeks, I still want you to participate. That's another reason I decided to make this a 12 week long challenge. Even if you sign up with only a month left, you can still get a lot accomplished!

If you're up for the challenge, sign up using Mr. Linky below this post or leave me a comment. All I ask is that you add the banner to your blog and do the best to make this challenge fun!"

***

You may have noticed it mentioned on my sidebar?

That's because I'm participating (which I think I mentioned yesterday).

My goal is simple; to get in the habit of living a healthier lifestyle - especially when it comes to making food choices - and, in the meantime, shed those pounds that most of my readers will know I've been trying to get rid of since the start of the year. Take-aways will become a treat rather than a once a week or more thing (I have gotten it down from most days to only once a week so far this year, so now it's time to make it a once a month treat), and pre-packaged meals will be a rare addition to the contents of our cupboards and fridge-freezer; we'll be making everything we can from scratch. Also, I'll be making more effort to do the yoga exercises I keep meaning to do, and making more effort to go on longer walks with Kero instead of the short ones we take most of the time.

I would like to point out that I have no intention of completely depriving myself of any food item that I want to be eating. In other words, if I want a bar of chocolate or a piece of cake then I'm going to have it. The whole point behind the way I'm approaching this challenge is that I want to be making healthier choices with what I eat, not that I want to go on a diet. The readers who have been with me from at least the start of 2011 will know my thoughts on diets; they may work initially, but it's easy to cheat and put the weight back on, and then you end up feeling guilty and eating more rubbish to make yourself feel better, and the next thing you know you've entered in to a vicious cycle of eating the wrong things, putting on weight, and feeling bad about it. However, if you make a decission to make healthier food choices - but not deprive yourself of any "treats" - then there's no such thing as cheating, which illiminates the guilt and the vicious cycle the guilty feeling forces you to enter. Therefore, come Samhain, my birthday (mid November) and Yule, I'll still be allowing myself some "treats" while everyone else is enjoying them, but I'll be doing my best to eat them in moderation, and - where possible - will make the stuff myself and do what I can to make them healthier options (e.g. fruit cake rather than chocolate cake, smaller servings of the items, etc).

I have - as mentioned with the take-away part - made a start on these changes from earlier this year; I've greatly decreased my take-aways and sweets, gathered loads of recipes for home made things, and brought more of a variety of fruit and veg in to my diet (which I should have already been doing as a vegetarian, but wasn't). I know how I ended up the weight I am; it's a combination of a lot of time spent not moving about as much as I should, too many take-aways (bearing in mind - as I mentioned the other day - usually when you eat out as a vegetarian you're stuck with chips), and too many sweets and crisps/potato chips. Like I said, I've managed to make some improvements, but it's about time I did more!

It's going to be tough while we finish with the move, but I'm going to try my best. I mean, any positive difference I make to my over-all health and my weight will be a step in the right direction, and worthwhile. And to do it with like-minded people - supporting each other every step of the way - well, that has to be a good thing, right? And I figure I'll just do the best I can manage to during the move, then - once the move is sorted - I know I can do better still, and "should" soon start to see some good results; weight coming off, body slimming down, and over-all health improving.

Since the start of the year I've lost about 20lbs and 2 inches from around my waist. A good start, but I want to do more, so I'm hoping this challenge will help me to achieve the weight loss and better health I would like for myself.

The challenge starts today...

To join in - or to just stop by and show your support to those who are participating -chheck out the list of the other participents by clicking here, and go read any posts they put up about it (or just leave them a friendly comment on some other post).

11 comments:

Rita said...

That sounds like a great idea she had to start a group like that for a short term goal. Have fun!! :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

I think keeping it simple is key. I'll take my pic and measurements later today and post them. I need to add water to my diet and things of the sort, but like you, I'll mostly focus on healthier.

That corgi :) said...

Sounds like a great challenge! Good luck with it! Working on weight loss here myself; I have found a lot has to do with moderation, portion control and get that body moving!

I bet you'll do great and looking forward to reading your progress!

betty

Craft Goddess PJ said...

I am working this challenge as well and looking forward to making new friends and acquiescence. Good luck.

Toriz said...

Rita:
Thanks! :)

And, I think it was a great idea too; well, obviously, or I wouldn't have signed up! ;)

Magaly:
Sounds like a good plan; good luck! :)

Betty:
Thanks! :)

I often have issues with portion control, especially with items I really shouldn't be having a lot of (crisps/potato chhips are my biggest weakness).

Craft Goddess PJ:
Thanks; good luck to you too! :)

AliceKay said...

Sounds like a great idea. Having others going along with the challenge will be helpful. We all need a little support and encouragement from time to time. Have fun with it, Tori. *hugs*

Toriz said...

AK:
Thanks; yes, we do all need support. I'm hoping the support will help me to stick with my goals and plans, and that by the time this 3 month challenge is over I'll be in the habit of making the right choices, and will start doing it automatically! :)

Ember the Muse said...

I was really lucky, my partner took my photo and told me not to worry. I'm great at any weight :D. He just wants me healthy.... to post or not to post... that is the question... post only if you want.. health is the best part.

Toriz said...

Ember:
My hubby also says it doesn't matter to him what my weight is either; it's me it bothers.

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like a little group encouragement will help - and they will be lucky to have you.

I hope things go well - I always feel better knowing you are healthy, happy and smiling.

Toriz said...

Thanks Iggy! :)