Friday, October 28, 2011

Plans for Samhain 2011

There was something else I meant to post this past week; I'd said I'd do it last weekend, actually. But things happened, and now that post will have to wait until next week. Anyway, I know people wanted to know what I'll be doing - or have been doing - to celebrate Samhain this year, especially since I said I was going to be doing plenty to make up for not being able to do anything for Mabon. So...

I've already had a tea party (more on that over the next couple of days, since it was for the Witchy Tea Party that Anna is hosting this weekend), and made a spooky bandanna for Kero with some of the fabric I got in that recent Hobbycraft order (again, more on that to come in another post some time soon); I haven't decided yet what to do with the rest. And here's what I still plan to do to celebrate Samhain:

*Put up the decorations; I always leave them until the day before, especially since where I don't have many it doesn't take long to put them up.
*Carve pumpkins (we're getting 2).
*Carve a turnip.
*Make a Mushroom And Winter Veg Pie with the turnip.
*Make a Pumpkin Pie and some Pumpkin Spice Muffins.
*If there's enough pumpkin left over, make some Pasta With Pumpkin Sage Sauce.
*Drink some of Rosmerta's Pumpkin Juice.
*Take some time to read the braille tarot books I got a couple of months ago and have done little more than briefly glance at (I'd do a reading, but I haven't had an oppertunity to make my cards readable to me, so I can't).
*Do a private meditation ritual.
*Braid together 3 ribbons (white for life, black for death, and red for rebirth) while focusing on lost loved ones.

I'm combining the last two; I'll be starting off with the ritual where you bind the ribbons, and incorperating the meditation ritual in to it, since you're meant to meditate on lost loved ones while binding them anyway, so it seems logical to me to extend it by placing a meditation ritual in there.

I was going to bake Cookies in appropriate shapes; bats, ghosts, hands and cats. But I made some cat shaped cookies yesterday, and with the pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice muffins I'm making... Well, I really don't think we need more cookies; we'll have enough to eat for Samhain and the days surrounding it without adding cookies to the mix. So, I decided to forget about doing the cookies after all.

Anyway, we've also got a load of goodies for any kids who come Trick-Or-Treating. Not sure how many we'll get, but I know there are plenty of kids around, so since my Jack-O-Lanterns and other decorations will be up by then I'm hoping they'll come knocking; I like having trick-or-treaters come calling!

6 comments:

Rita said...

I hope you get some kids! I get so few or none here.
The braiding and meditating sounds like a great combination.
Have fun!! :)

Ms Lilypads said...

Thank you for posting the recipes. I'm a lousy cook, but I'd like to try something with pumpkin i.e. pumpkin cookies or pumpkin cupcakes!

That corgi :) said...

I've never carved a turnip before; sounds interesting!! It is fun to get trick or treaters! I'm not sure how many we will get this year either since we moved here last January. Should be interesting, I'm hoping there is not a lot of candy left!

betty

AliceKay said...

Sounds like your Samhain celebration will be a festive one. I hope Kelly will take pics of your Jack-O-Lanterns. :)

Our Trick-or-Treating was moved from Thursday night to Sunday night because of forecasted bad weather of rain and snow for Thursday, but guess what? We have a Nor-easter heading our way tomorrow that's supposed to dump 4 to 6 inches of heavy, wet snow on us. Towanda's Halloween parade (the biggest parade held in Towanda every year) is scheduled for tomorrow night. Doubt it will happen.

I hope you get some trick-or-treaters. Have fun!

Toriz said...

Rita:
I intend to; have fun, I mean!

I hope we get some kids too... There are plenty about, so surely some of them will be trick-or-treating? *Looks hopeful*

Ms Lilypads:
Thanks for visiting, and... You're very welcome. I have a few other pumpkin themed recipes on my recipe page if you want to take a look. :)

Betty:
I haven't carved a turnip since I was... *Thinking*... I think about 10? Anyway, I figured it was an appropriate thing to do, since turnips are what were carved in the past. Looked for the recipe I'm using it in for the purpose; never had turnip any way other than roasted, and wanted to do something different.

I hope you don't have too much left too; I hope the same for myself mind you, because I know I'll eat the lot if there are leftovers!

AK:
Kelly's promised to take pictures of anything I want him too, so some time during November you should get a whole lot of photos to enjoy! :)

I hope the parade goes ahead, and also that the kids can get to go trick-or-treating!

Connie Mitan said...

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us at Pagan Blog Prompts!
~Sunfire