Saturday, October 29, 2011

Get Off Your Broom: Week 4 reviewed (FD)

It's time for this week's Get Off Your Broom update.

But first; the challenge that Serenity set last week...

Part 1 was to think about - and look at - your diet, and figure out if you're eating a balanced diet. So, I thought about it, and I looked at the Vegetarian Food Pyramid Serenity linked to, and came up with the answer... Most days. I have a couple of days where I'll eat too many things from one food group, and not enough from another. But most days I eat a decent balanced diet; I just have to learn to bear my activity level in mind a bit more, and remember that on my less active days I shouldn't eat for an active person, if you know what I mean. I definately wasn't eating a proper balanced diet before, but since I started this challenge - well, from week 2 anyway, because week 1 wasn't a great example due to all the take-aways I had during moving - I've been doing pretty well at eating a balanced diet.

Part 2 was about making my Get Off Your Broom posts more witchy. My first thought here is, "do I need to then?" Magaly mentioned on her blog recently about how your witchyness would show through if you are a witch, because your posts will be about you. And, quite frankly, I'm happy to let that be the case. However, in the interests of witchyness showing through in my posts, I'll mention the meditation sessions I do after my Yoga session; partly as a sort of, "OK, now relax and get ready for the day," type of thing, and partly because I feel I need to get back in the habit of regular meditation sessions, and think that going from yoga exercises to a meditation session is an easy - and natural - thing to do. I also "try" to get a meditation session in before I settle for bed, but don't always manage it... Not that I always manage the morning yoga and meditation thing at the moment either, but at least the reason I don't always get to the morning one isn't because I fall asleep, which is what happens sometimes during the evening sessions. LOL!

OK, on to a review of this week...

Eating:
Not too bad; I did cheat for dinner two nights this week and have take-away though; Tuesday because by the time we were able to start sorting dinner I was just really tired (should have done the prep work for dinner before my rehabilitation officer arrived) and last night... Well, I have no excuse, I was just lazy! But the rest of the time I've been pretty good, I think.

Drinking:
Some days I've done great and had plenty to drink, but other days... Yeah, not so much; some days I just forget and end up only having maybe 4 small drinks all day. If only I could forget to eat when I'm bored as easily as I forget to drink. ;)

Walking:
Most days, great; 40 minute or longer walk in the morning, 20 minute walk in the evening. Except... There have been a couple of very wet days here this week, and Kero doesn't like to go out in the rain, which makes it difficult for me to, especially right now when I can't go by myself yet (still not had my mobility lessons). So since Kero refuses to go far and can't be left home by himself, and I can't go by myself... Well, some of the walks have been practically non-existant. I did try and persuade Kero to go for a walk, but he wasn't having it; we "maybe" made it for a 5 minute walk a couple of times. Like I said though, most of the time the weather has co-operated, and I've been able to do my walks just fine.

Yoga:
I think I did it maybe 3 times this week; better than I had been sometimes, but not what I was aiming for. But, at least I did it those few times, so at least it wasn't totally forgotten. What? I'm trying to think positive! ;)

Measurements:
I lost half a pound, lost half an inch from my waist, lost an inch from my hips, and lost an inch from my chest. So a total of half a pound and 2.5 inches lost this week!

Goals for next week:
*Drink better.
*Get the Yoga mat out more.
*Find something to do indoors in place of walking when walks aren't possible.

Other than that it's just a case of trying to avoid the take-aways, and trying to get walks in when I can. I'n still aiming for the long walk in the morning and short one in the evening, but sometimes the weather wont allow it.

***

The "Get Off Your Broom" chhallenge is hosted by Serenity over at "The Domestic Pagan"... Why not visit her? And don't forget to visit the other participents too!

Note to other participents: I've been visiting your blogs, but I can't comment due to word verification; it's nothing personal, it's just the way things are (the "listen and type" thing very rarely works, and is a lot of hastle to try and use anyway). So, please know that I'm 100% behind you in your quest to get off your broom and become a healthier you, but can't comment to say so.

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

I think you're doing great. Just look at those inches coming off. That's fantastic! :)

Toriz said...

Thanks AK! :)

That corgi :) said...

You are doing fantastic!! Good job with the loss of weight and inches! And continuing to see what works for you and what doesn't work for you! That would be tough to want to go and walk and then Kero not liking the wet (Koda is the same way). I know when we lived in Montana and the weather is so unpredictable in winter, having a treadmill was a good thing to get the exercise in when it was too cold/snowy/icy outside (funny now that I think about it, Koda loved snow, but not rain, go figure!)

Keep up the good work!!!

betty

Rita said...

I think you're doing great, too. But it seems like the other participants could shut off their word verification. You have asked politely several times. :(

Toriz said...

Betty:
Thanks! :)

Kero's the same; loves snow, hates rain!

I'd get a treadmill if I had somewhere to put it without it being in the way (in the way doesn't work for me; I run in to enough things throughout the day when most things are out of the way, don't need to make it easier to run in to things, LOL!)

Rita:
Thanks! :)

*Nods* Yes, I've asked every week... And it's not a difficult thing to do. Just a simple click in the settings of the blog, that's all... It's not asking much to want to be able to leave a comment, is it?

Diandra said...

It' really weird how it appears to be impossible to get healthy, low-cal food outside our own kitchens, right? Honestly... last weekend we were out dining with my parents, and I was not really hungry so I went for something from the "starters" menu: Baked goat cheese and salad. Guess what they brought? A whole goat cheese. About 200-250g, if I'm guessing correctly. And a middle-sized salad. And bread. Well, it was def. not unhealthy, but I was impressed that this was supposed to be a starter, and not a complete meal. Having finished that, I not hungry anymore at all!

Sounds as if your challenge is going pretty well... you could plan your dinners in advance, and maybe keep ingredients for one or two quick-fixes in the pantry, for those nights when times gets away from you or you just don't feel like cooking.

Deanna said...

You are heading in the right direction, so yea for you!!! You are definitely at the mercy of the weather, so overall it sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good job!

Toriz said...

Diandra:
Absolutely, and it's strange how that's the case when everyone is "meant to be" promoting healthy eating! Sounds like it's lucky you went for the starter!

I do have quick meal ingredients to hand, but I slipped up and went back to bad habits and opted for take-away instead. I know I shouldn't have, but... *Shrugs*... It's happened now, and dwelling on the fact it wasn't a great decission wont get me anywhere, so I'll just think about how I enjoyed it, but should avoid doing that this week, and leave it at that!

Deanna:
Thanks! :)