Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Double Vet Trip

I feel so mean! I took Kero and Bella to the vet yesterday to get Kero chipped (he should have been done ages ago, but I've been putting it off for various reasons) and for Bella to have a full vet check and the first of her shots (since she's not had them before). And I feel so horrid, my babies were so upset with me. Bella forgave me soon after we got home, but it took a good few hours before Kero wanted anything to do with me. Not that I blame him. Poor little guy! My Mam took him in for his chip while I took Bella in for her shot. I think in Kero's mind that made things worse though, because he HATED me going in a different room to him and actually threw himself against the door of the room I took Bella in to try and get to me, and he had to be physically carried into the other room, where as I've never had to do that with him. He was very brave though, didn't even whine when they chipped him (I've heard dogs usually yelp, big time).

As for Bella, she was more concerned about the fact she was up on the table thing than anything else. The little sod though... she SOMEHOW managed to free herself from her harness in the vet. Neither my Mam, me or the vet can figure out how though, because if it was any tighter it would be cutting into her! We've come to the conclusion that - like her daughter - she is just an escape artist. But, anyway, she was given a clean bill of health. I'd hoped to arrange to get her spayed in time so that the dogs and I can go visit Grandma and Jayde at the end of May or start of June, but the vet wants her to come into heat and then for me to wait a couple of months and then get her spayed, because, with her last litter she was a bit early coming in so she could come into heat any day now, but then it could be April before she comes into heat. Shame, 'cause I really wanted it done out the way so that she could start going off the lead in the park with Kero. I don't want her off the lead until she's fixed though because I don't want any 'accidents'.

Got Bella a new bed yesterday. This photo her is of her sat in it. There are other photos of her in it and a quick one I took of the bed (and one of the two bowls it came with) in the photo albums though. The two blankets (the pink one and the yellow one) are new blankets we got for her too. I kept them aside until her bed arrived. Kero and Bella each have one of the bowls. One is a sort of candy striped one... we gave that one to Bella because it's got pink in it... the other is blue with white pokadots on it... Kero has that one.

They also got a new toy each. The photo of Kero in this post is him with his toy, there are photos of Bella with hers (plus one of the two toys together) in my photo albums. Kero's not all that interested in playing with his toy. I mean, I had a bottle that I brought home because I had a drink while I was out, so, why would Kero want a toy when there is a bottle about that he could play with? LOL! Bella LOVES the toys though. They are a squeaky toy, a teddy and a tuggy toy in one. And they are VERY hard-wearing. Bella played with hers all yesterday and still hasn't managed to even tear it. And she has been trying VERY hard to tear it, let me tell you! LOL!

Chance has calmed down some. Bella and Chance were on the floor together yesterday with no problems. Well, until Chance sniffed Bella's butt. She wasn't having that chaos followed! But they sorted it out between themselves. And Bella is sharing a bit better now. Kero is actually allowed to join in with games now. In fact, Bella and Kero teamed up to chase Sakura yesterday. Not a smart thing to do since Sakura doesn't like to be chased and especially not if she's being barked at. And boy did she let them know. LOL! Kero backed off first, then Bella decided Sakura wasn't worth all that hastle and returned to playing with her toy. After all, my cats have their claws!

The only thing Bella isn't willing to share at all is this one green hedgehog toy. I got it for her and gave it to her on Saturday and she's stopped it squeaking but still loves it and carries it about and wont let anyone else play with it. Yes, it's the one in the photos from Saturday with her.

Kero actually stood up for himself yesterday. We were really proud of him. Usually he backs off and lets the other animals eat his food and just goes without, but when Bella told him to get away from his food so she could eat it he said "NO" and sent her away. You could see by her reaction that she wasn't expecting that. LOL!

Anyway, I've got to go feed the animals, get dressed and get my butt in gear so that I can go to town and get some shopping done.

Tori

6 comments:

Kerry said...

k... I don't think I'm gonna get a second dog just yet lol
you've opened my eyes to the work 2 will be and lol it will be a male when and if I do lol

AliceKay said...

What does "chipped" mean? I've had dogs before but never heard that term.

Kerry said...

micro-chipped
it's a chip put into the back of their neck to trace ownership if they are lost.Scotty is chipped too.

AliceKay said...

I've heard of doing that to a pet but never knew what they called it. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Kerry,
Most of the issues we're having with Bella are because she's an older dog. When Jayde and Lucy came into the house we didn't have any of these "teething problems".

Also, with Scotty being male, you would be better off getting a female if you are getting another dog because it makes them deciding their places in the "pack" easier. Bella would be able to be spayed now if it wasn't for the fact that this will be the first time she's been in season since having her last litter of puppies. Grandma's Jayde had her first season in - I think - April last year and was spayed by the end of June. She wasn't a year old until September.

ChicagoLady,
You learn something new every day, eh?

AliceKay said...

I don't know about chicagolady, but I sure did. *winks*