Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Of Fluffy Socks, Pinkness, And Other Random things

We've had lots of fluffy socks weather lately.

For those who are new here: I hate having things on my feet at home. I own slippers, and a selection of fluffy and wooly socks. But I only wear them when it's really cold, because my feet like to be free. So, if I'm saying it's fluffy socks weather, that means it's cold enough that I need to wear socks indoors. If it gets cold enough, I'll put my slippers on too.

Anyway, I've not been keeping proper track of temperatures, but it's been quite cold most days. We've had some days where it warmed up by the afternoon, but it's been frosty most mornings, and I'm told it was foggy a couple of mornings too. No storms in this past week or so though, which is both good and bad. Good because it means no storms have been doing damage in our area, but bad because I haven't had any storms to listen to. That's not to say that we haven't had any rain or wind, because we have. Just not enough that you could really call it a storm. Although, it certainly tried to become one on the weekend.

Anyhow, my friend, Lorna, came for a visit at the start of last week, and said I look, "More normal... More human... More sort of pink." I took it as a compliment, even though it had me imagining that I'd looked like some kind of weird alien creature before. I know what she was trying to say is that I have more colour in me now my anemia is under control. I'm not usually a big fan of pink things, but even I have to agree that this is one time that pink is good. YAY for pinkness!

I've been feeling a lot better. No dizziness, which is nice. I still tire easily though, and am still working on regaining muscle strength from all the time I wasn't doing much because of the dizziness. That's going to take a while to fix.

It's a shame my weight loss attempts aren't going so well.

I got weighed again when I went for this month's shot this past Friday, and it turns out I've done that annoying thing where you were doing so well, and suddenly you put a load of weight back on. I don't understand why, because I certainly ate better and exercised more than I had the previous month, and yet I lost weight then. I'm going to look at where I can make more tweaks to things, and see if I can get at least some of it back off in these next few weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back off before my surgery date rolls around. Since there's still no sign of that, I've got a good chance. Of course, now it means I'm torn between hoping they take their time with my surgery date so I can get the weight back off, and hoping they hurry up with it so I can have it done and out of the way.

They tried to make me have a flu jab, but I never have that. Some people get sicker when they have it, and I'm one of those people. I get sick either way, but it seems to be worse on years when I let them do the flu jab, so I stopped bothering. Kelly doesn't have his either, since he's another person that happens to. If they make it that we have no choice, we'll submit to it. But while it's optional, we don't see the point.

I'll be going to see the nurse on November 2nd at 12:10pm to have my next hormone blocker shot though. I was a bit worried I'd have trouble scheduling it, because the gynecologist letter that requested I have the shots in the first place only mentioned me having three or four of them (the plan being that I'd be in for surgery before more would be needed, though that looks like it's unlikely to happen, unless I'm getting a short notice call to come in between now and the date of the next shot). But I booked it no problem. Although, I did have to call yesterday (Monday) to do so, since I forgot to book it when I was there on Friday having this month's shot. I'll have to send Kelly to sort my prescription for this month too, since I also forgot to ask for that, and they prefer you to do that either in person, or by talking to a nurse or doctor. I didn't want to ask to speak to a doctor just to do that, especially when Kelly's got to go to town this week anyhow, and I have enough pills that I won't run out in the meantime, and have a spare set of inhalers if the ones I'm using run out. I usually sort the repeat prescription when I'm there for my shot, but didn't this time. I blame the fact the nurse I usually see wasn't there. Well, that and the fact we were discussing my weight, and just plain forgot.

Other than that, attempts to catch up on sleep, and random routine daily stuff like housework and walks - none of which have been eventful enough to talk about - I've just spent this past week or so slowly working on catching up with watching the episodes of my NCIS DVDs that I keep not getting to for various reasons, as wel as attempting to catch up on episodes of Critical Role. I've also been watching the Ghost In The Shell TV series with Kelly, since I hadn't seen it, and he loves it enough to watch it again and again. Like with the movie, I'm enjoying the Ghost In The Shell TV series, but not as much as Kelly enjoys it. Probably because he's more of an anime fan than I am. I'd give it four out of five stars though.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Definitely fluffy socks weather up here.
I hope the shot goes as planned. Glad you are looking pinker!!
I don't get the flu shots, either.
We might get some snow if the storm comes through here tomorrow. You know I would love that, but we'll see. Seems to have been going north or south of us for the last few years most of the winter. This would be a really early snow, though.
Happy Wednesday! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thanks about the shot and the pinkness. Enjoy your fluffy socks weather, and I hope you get good snow this Winter. Save some for me though, won't you? ;)

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's funny about the socks. I almost always have on socks and shoes, even when it's hot. My dad is truly convinced that the root of all trouble is not wearing socks and shoes. It's a running joke in our family. Cut yourself chopping veggies, have a headache, come down with the flu? My dad's first question is whether or not you were wearing socks and shoes.

I'm glad you're pinker. Even if it's not your favorite color it's better than pale.

Do you think your weight gain might be from hormonal issues? That can wreak havoc with everything. Or stress? I know I pack on the pounds whenever I'm super stressed. Between your health and the terrible neighbor you've certainly had a lot of stress.

We're getting the remnants of Hurricane Michael right now; lots of flooding and road closures, so I'm a little jealous that you haven't had storms.

I hope all goes with your next appointment!

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
So, according to your Dad, I'm accident prone and get sick a lot because I don't like to wear socks? Haha! Well, I'm still not wearing any unless I need to. I guess I'll just have to suffer the consequences. ;)

Thanks about the pinkness. I agree; it's better than pale, even if I'mnot usually a fan of the colour.

I don't know about hormone issues. It's possible, since the shots are messing with my body's attempts to produce hormones. They said I shouldn't gain weight from these shots, but that doesn't mean I won't. Stress is definitely at least a partial cause though. There's been a lot of that lately, that's for sure!

That's too much in the way of storms even for my liking. I enjoy listening to storms, but even I wouldn't want the kinds of storms you guys have been dealing with recently. I like the kind where there's enough to have some wind and rain to listen to, and it'sclearly enough to call it a storm, but it's not bad enough to cause any real damage or flooding. If only storms - and snow - could come to order.

"I'd like to order a mild thunderstorm please. A bit of gust to the wind, and a reasonable shower of rain, but nothing too heavy. Also, can I pre-order some snow for the holidays? Nothing too deep. Just a few inches of the kind of snow that's perfect for building snowmen. Thank you!"