Thursday, August 28, 2008

The moth murder (AE&D... PTMI)

There's a moth - at least, I think it's the same one - that has been coming in most evenings. It has even been known to be flapping about in here during the day (isn't that unusual moth behaviour? I thought they were only around in the evenings and night times). We almost got a photo of it the other day when it settled itself on Kero's nose. Definately a "shouldabeenakodakmoment" there!

Anyway...

I guess Kero decided the moth was here to play with him. He was playing with it yesterday. The moth would flap around near him, and he'd pretend to snap at it.

That's when it happened... I think he got carried away with excitement or something. Either that or the moth didn't fly the direction he thought it would. But whatever the reason it ended up in his mouth.

He spat it right out with a noise that sounded very much like the word "yuck!" But after being in his mouth it's mobility was somewhat lacking. After it happened the second time the poor moth flapped no more!

Kero was devistated! He nudged at it. He pawed at it... He even tried picking it up... Nothing worked.

One thing did happen though... The moth ended up in pieces from the nudging and being pawed at. So there were bits of moth all over the floor! Yuck!

Kero spent most of yesterday evening sulking about it. Bless him!

I'm not sure if it was because he was sulking or if the moth being in his mouth gave him a bit of an upset stomach, but he was off his food yesterday evening too. I don't think he was sick or anything (if he was he made it outside) but he didn't eat anything, which is unusual in the evenings since it's usually then that he wants his food.

I doubt this has taught him that moths are neither toys nor snacks though. LOL!

And - as far as I'm aware - no new moths came to visit last night... So it's quite possible that it was - as I suspected - the same moth coming to visit each time.

Tori

8 comments:

Celticspirit said...

What a crazy story! Kero seems like quite a character. I can almost picture that moth landing on his nose.....LOL
Have a great day!

LadyStyx said...

My Dharma likes to go after bugs too. Only, she doesnt just play with them...*wrinklez nose with an ewww*

AliceKay said...

Aww....poor Kero. (and poor moth. LOL)

Intense Guy said...

Ah, at long last, a AE&D entry!

LOL - That moth would have had some trouble anyway, after Kero gave it his special pet frog treatment. Ut oh. My comment is now rated AE&D!

Jessica said...

I was cleaning out my rabbit today and 2 moths flew out of his bedding (I am a good rabbit owner! Honest!). Maybe they were playing with Pepper like your moth was "playing" with Keno, but either way, one brushed past my chin and I'm very very glad it didn't go in!

Tori_z said...

Celtic:
If I'd been quicker grabbing the camera for Kero you would have been able to get to see the moth on his nose instead of just picturing it. ;)

Styxie:
I had a cat that did that... Actually, I've had two who like to do that. Topsi (I had her years ago, so unless you've seen the photo of her on the pets page you wont have seen her) and Megan.

AK:
I think Kero's gotten over it now. Poor moth though...

Iggy:
LOL!

And, don't worry, I have another AE&D entry coming up in the near future. ;)

Jessica:
Good to see you on the blogs again... Haven't seen you around much lately.

I don't doubt that you're a good rabbit owner... Those moths get everywhere!

And I can imagine how relieved you are that the moth only brushed against your chin. ;)

ChicagoLady said...

I'm sure in dogspeak, Kero was saying yuck! At least Kero gave that moth some excitement in his last days, he can go to moth heaven, or wherever they go and he can tell his moth friends that he played with a dog.

Tori_z said...

Chicago:
That's a nice way to look at it. :)