Monday, June 06, 2011

2000 posts and a pendant

You may remember me saying a few times that I had about 2000 posts on my blog?

Well, after I said that I started keeping track - by getting my dashboard to only show "published" posts - and, guess what? This is post 2000 to be published. Of course, I also have several posts scheduled to go up in the next couple of months, but this is post 2000 to be published, and the others don't count until they get published.

So, for my 2000th post, I thought I would share a couple of photos of my pentagram pendant.





That's my hand holding it in the last photo. No, the pendant isn't huge or anything like that, I just have quite small hands. The pendant is only about the size of a 10p piece (about the size of a quarter, for the benifit of those not in the UK, and therefore probably not familiar with the size of our 10p pieces).

This is the same pendant I brought myself when I was 16 years old. The cord it's on has been replaced a few times (and, by the look of it, will soon be needing to be replaced again) but the pentagram is the original pewter one I brought when I was 16.

I didn't wear it for a while - during the time I've been struggling with things - but it's now back around my neck where it belongs. Although I do tuck it inside my top when I go out; just because it's easier. The thing is that, although people seem to be allowed to wear crosses proudly - in most places anyway - wearing a pentagram is frowned upon as a general rule, so tucking it inside my clothing allows me to keep it on while still avoiding confrontation with anyone who may not be as willing to accept my beliefs as my online friends are. It's a shame it feels like doing so is necessary, but that's the way it is; maybe one day things will change?

11 comments:

AliceKay said...

Congratulations on your 2000th post! That's a lot of writing and posting. :)

Nice pendant. It's a shame you feel you can't wear it like you want to. If I were you, tho, I'd wear it outside my clothing if I wanted to. It's their problem, not yours. *hugs*

Hope you're having a great Monday. I'm working for my sister today so I don't need to go to work until 11:45AM. (that's why i'm here posting a comment at this hour)

Rita said...

My first love made me an ankh in metal class my senior year--Egyptian symbol of life or everlasting life. I got a lot of grief wearing it and finally just tucked it under my clothes. I still have it. You make me think of digging it out. ;)

Rita said...

Oh, and congrats on 2000 posts!! You must really post a lot. I haven't even made 1500 yet. ;)

Toriz said...

AK:
Thanks! :)

I would like to be able to feel I don't need to hide it, but... I don't know, I guess it's just where I've had to hide it so long that it's hard to feel confident in breaking the habit?

Rita:
Yeah, you should! If nothing else then I bet your bloggy friends would like to see it!

*Nods* Oh, yes, I do post a lot! I didn't at first... I only did one post every few days at first, but then I started to post more and more. It's a common thing for me to post several posts in one day, and it's rare that I miss a day, so when you do that it's quite easy to get to 2000 posts. Plus, I love writing, and love talking to people, and since with the blog I kind of get to do both at once... Well, you get the point, I'm sure! ;)

Furry Bottoms said...

Congrats on 2000 posts!! Wowza... I need to take a look and see how many posts I have.

About the pentagram... well, there have been many people who made pentagrams look bad here in America. The night stalker would use the pentagram as his signature whenever he killed someone. The McMartin Trial... also used pentagrams AND abused children in their practices.

Those are the kind of things people usually think of when they see a pentagram, because it's always been associated with evil doings. They don't stop to think there is another side to it, like for wicca. The good is never broadcast on the news, only the bad...

Intense Guy said...

Congrats on post 2000!! You have just about twice as many as I do!

Someday, hopefully, human beings will gt it through their heads that symbols such as your pentagram will not and do not cause harm - and learn to be tolerant.

Toriz said...

Nikki:
Thanks! :)

*Nods* Yes, that's the trouble. People who have made it seem like a bad symbol combined with people who don't stop and think that there might be another side to it. If people could just be more open-minded and willing to at least ask why I wear it, then I wouldn't get any issues.

Iggy:
Thanks! :)

Yes; maybe one day!

ChicagoLady said...

Congrats on your 2000th post!

Unfortunately, crosses are getting to the point where they would be more taboo than your pentagram. If only the world were more tolerant of all religions and people didn't feel the need to hide their symbols.

Toriz said...

Chicago:
Thanks! :)

Yes; if the world could actually accept that it's OK to have different religeons then people of all faiths could wea their symbols proudly, and without fear of being persecuted for it.

Lynn said...

Wow 2000 post!! I have a long ways to go LOL

Toriz said...

Lynn:
That's OK; not many people talk as much as me. LOL!