Friday, June 24, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are

"An adaptation of Maurice Sendak's classic children's story, where Max, a disobedient little boy sent to bed without his supper, creates his own world--a forest inhabited by ferocious wild creatures that crown Max as their ruler."

"An adolescent named Max has an active imagination, and he will throw fits if others don't go along with what he wants. Max - following an incident with Claire (his sister) and her friends, and following a tantrum which he throws as a result of his Mother paying more attention to her boyfriend than to him - runs away from home. Wearing his wolf costume at the time, Max not only runs away physically, but runs toward a world in his imagination. This world, an ocean away, is inhabited by large wild beasts, including one named Carol who is much like Max himself in temperament. Instead of eating Max like they normally would with creatures of his type, the wild things befriend Max after he proclaims himself a king who can magically solve all their problems."

(Above taken from this page).

This was a really weird movie... Good weird, but still weird! I've not read the book... I wonder if the book is as weird as the movie?

8 comments:

Lynn said...

I still havent watched this movie but I want to some day.

AliceKay said...

Yes, this is a weird, sometimes violent, movie. I reviewed it last year after Terri and I watched it. This movie was on one of the movie channels again the other day, but I kept on flipping channels and didn't watch it.

Toriz said...

Lynn:
Well, I hope you get to watch it in the end!

AK:
I thought I remembered someone reviewing it before, but couldn't be sure.

ChicagoLady said...

The book is one of my favorites, so I was really interested when they announced they were making a movie out of it. The book is 48 pages, but there is not a lot of reading on each page, it's mostly pictures. The movie includes many things that are not in the book. I haven't decided if I like the movie or not.

Rita said...

I had never read the book and didn't like the movie. It was so dark and mean and violent! I can't imagine letting a little kid watch it, to be honest. I think I talked about it in my blog, too. Not my cuppa at all. ;)

Toriz said...

Chicago:
Fair enough. I haven't read the book, and probably can't get an accessable version now.

Rita:
I agree; it shouldn't really be one to watch with the children. Apparently the SKy TV people don't agree though, because they keep showing it on their "SKy Movies Family" channel, which is meant to be a channel with movies for all the family, children included. Mind you, with some of the things children are exposed to quite young these days, this is probably quite mild to them!

Intense Guy said...

A 48 page book with mostly pictures? I'm reading the book first!!

:)

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Good plan! LOL!