Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Hot Tub Time Machine

"Three friends on losing streaks: Adam, whose girlfriend dumped him, Nick, with a dead-end job and a cheating wife, and Lou, a suicidal alcoholic. To help Lou recover from car-exhaust poisoning, Adam and Nick, with Adam's nephew Jacob, go to a winter resort that was their old party place. It's now a dump, but the lads rally for a night of drinking in the hot tub. Somehow, the hot tub takes them back to 1986, on a fateful night for each of them. Maybe if they do everything the same way they did that night, they'll get back to the future so Jacob can be born. There are serious temptations to do things differently. Will they make it back to their sorry lives? And what about Jacob?"

(Above taken from here).

I thought this was going to be a good movie; and maybe, in a way, it kind of was. The problem was that I was put off by all the swearing, so I switched it off within about 15 minutes (if I even kept it on that long). A bit of swearing in a movie I can handle, but at when someone in a movie insists on slipping the "F" word in every couple of words ... Well, that's just too much, and stops me enjoying the movie. I couldn't tell you if it continued like that or not, since - as I said - I turned it off, but what I can tell you is that I don't plan on finding out, since I don't want to take the chance of sitting through more than an hour of almost constant swearing. In short; I wouldn't recommend this movie. Especially not to those of you who, like myself, prefer not to listen to a constant stream of swearing

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I'll skip this one. The plot sounds a bit intriguing but the dialogue not so much.

Hugs

Rita said...

I don't mind swearing in a movie if it is exactly how characters would have talked--for example in a movie like The Deer Hunter. But too often with these youth movies it is more a gratuitous decision than anything else. Like they have to swear a blue streak to be cool, you know? Boring! Annoying!

P.S.
I turned off movies with swearing in them right away when I had a parrot--LOL!

Deanna said...

Thanks for the warning Tori! I don't mind a bit of swearing in a movie, especially if it goes with the type of person they are protraying... but the Fbomb used constantly is a total turnoff. You were smart to turn IT off!

AliceKay said...

Yep, the constant use of the F-word can make me turn off movies, too. I read a preview on the channel guide on the TV a couple of weeks ago for a movie that sounded pretty good, but when I started watching it, and the F-word was coming at me right and left, I switched channels. Don't need to watch crap like that.

It's the same with music. Some great songs (musically) have been ruined by constant use of vulgar language. It's a shame, too.

ChicagoLady said...

I'd seen the previews for this when it was released in theatre here in the U.S., but it didn't sound appealing. Now it sounds even less appealing due to the language. Thanks for reaffirming my decision not to see this movie.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
Yes. That was what I thought of it. Shame, because it had potential to be suuch a good movie...

Rita:
A bit of swearing is fine - for the character and all that - it was the amount the words were being used that bothered me. The odd curse word thrown in to a conversation, or words like that used for valid reasons (like spilling scolding coffee on yourself, or something like that) would have been OK. I'd have at least sat through the rest of the movie. But they were taking it too far, and when there are more curse words than normal dialogue - or when it feels like that's the case - I can't enjoy the movie.

Yeah, I'd have done the same if I had a parrrot. LOL!

Deanna:
My thoughts exactly!

AK:
That's exactly my opinion! I mean, there's no need for it most of the time. They just think it makes them look good... It doesn't!

Chicago:
No problem... Good call on not going to see it.