Monday, June 27, 2011

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

"In London, the sideshow troupe of Doctor Parnassus promises the audience a journey to the "Imaginarium", an imaginary world commanded by the mind of Doctor Parnassus, where dreams come true. In the stories that Doctor Parnassus tells to his daughter Valentina, the midget Percy, and his assistant Anton, he claims to have lived for more than one thousand years; However, when he fell in love with a mortal woman, he made a deal with the devil (Mr. Nick), trading his immortality for youth. As part of the bargain, he promised his son or daughter to Mr. Nick on their sixteenth birthday. Valentina is now almost to the doomed age and Doctor Parnassus makes a new bet with Mr. Nick, whoever seduces five souls in the Imaginarium will have Valentina as a prize. Meanwhile the troupe rescues Tony, a young man that was hanged on a bridge by the Russians. Tony was chased until he finds and joins the group..."

(Above taken from this page).

I thought this looked like a pretty good movie, but I was disappointed. So much so that I'd lost track of things and gotten bored within about 10 minutes or so, and just changed the channel. I'm not saying it was a bad movie, but it wasn't as good as I'd expected it to be, and - for me at least - was a bit too confusing to fully follow. Perhaps it was a visual thing? *Shrugs*

8 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

I thought this was a stinker of a movie too. Oh well, they can't all be Gone With The Wind, right??? *smile*

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like the premise got cluttered up with a lot of extraneous stuff... maybe the author was paid by the word? (this is my theory concerning Steven King).

Hugs

Toriz said...

*Nods in agreement with Jeannie*

Toriz said...

Iggy:
That's certainly possible.

Rita said...

I saw this movie because it had all these good actors in it, but it was weird and confusing. It is quite visual, but even when you can see it was strange and sometimes hard to follow and understand. I don't think you missed that much. ;)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Thanks for the input; glad it wasn't just me who was confused!

AliceKay said...

The cast was full of well known actors, but I wonder sometimes if the film makers try to out-do one another with the visual effects. Sometimes it overshadows the actual storyline. Sounds like this might be the case in this movie. (i watched the trailer)

Toriz said...

AK:
Sounds about right to me!