Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Free cat

When I took Gwydion to the vet yesterday they told me they had a cat that hangs around the vet that was looking for a home. They offered it to me... For free!

I wanted to take it.

But I didn't.

I know Kelly wouldn't have minded; he's been missing having cats around too.

But we already have Gwydion and Kero.

Kero would have been OK with it... Well, after a few days of chasing the poor thing about, and the two of them attempting to figure out who's in charge (I think the cat would win... Our cats were always in charge, despite Kero being first to come in to the house... But don't tell Kero I said that).

But a cat with an indoor guinea pig? Probably not a good plan.

I still almost took it though.

And after he found out about the cat being in need of a home, Kelly almost went back to fetch it, proving he wouldn't have minded me bringing it home.

I don't think we should get another one while we still have the boys though.

But... I miss having cats!

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

That must have been hard... leaving the cat at the Vets - it really sounds like you struggled with the decision!

I think Kero would rather catch the neighbor's cat for you though...

:)

Celticspirit said...

We have dozens of stray cats around here. There was a litter of kittens last year and now there is another one. The situation is getting out of control. I hate to have to call animal control because they will probably catch them and put them down. On the other hand, some of them have gotten hit by cars and some look sick. Very sad.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
It was really hard for me to leave it behind, and just as hard for me to say, "no," to Kelly going back for it. For one thing I felt sorry for it not having a real home, and for another... Well, I've been missing my cats really badly, and wanting to have a cat again. A big part of me desperately wants to go and get it, but I know it's not a good idea for us to add another furkid to the family right now; especially when we have an indoor guinea pig!

Barb:
That is sad! Those poor cats!

AliceKay said...

I can understand the struggle with your decision. I've been missing my cats, too. *hugs*

Rita said...

I've had cats with dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, rats, birds, lizards, fish, a skunk--you name it. But, I trust my gut as to who to bring into the house that will get along with everyone and know that no "family members" are to be eaten or harassed. I was the boss and they all knew the rules.

Maybe your gut told you it wouldn't work out? But you could have a cat, dog, and guinea pig together if you really wanted to. Ask for guidance and you would find the right cat. ;)

Obviously not that one that came in to terrorize Gwydion!

Lynn said...

Yeah not sure how a cat would do with a guinea pig, I love cats and I would love to have another kitty but I will just enjoy my daughters lil kitties. I do have my gracie though she is our last surviving cat we will probably ever own again.

Toriz said...

AK:
Thanks! *Hugs*

Rita:
Oh, I know cats can be in the house with things like guinea pigs. At one point we had a rabbit, 2 cats, 3 hamsters, 3 dogs and a tank full of fish, and all in a 2 bedroom flat. But I don't think Gwydion is the kind of guinea pig that could deal with a cat being around, and the cat would be better having been either in a home with small animals before, or been brought in to the household as a kitten for it to work without anyone getting hurt as a rule.

Lynn:
Yes; just enjoy Gracie and your daughter's cats right now!