Friday, June 10, 2011

Movie: Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic

"As Rincewind involuntarily becomes a guide to the naive tourist Twoflower, they find themselves forced to flee the city of Ankh-Morpork to escape a terrible fire, and begin on a journey across the Disc. Unknown to them, their journey & fate is being decided by the Gods playing a board game the whole time."

(Above taken from this page).

They did change parts of this from the book, but - unusually for books made in to movies these days - they kept most of it accurate. Anyway, I thought it was a really good movie, and that they did a pretty good job of turning the book in to a movie. Mind you, Terry Pratchett - author of the book - was very closely involved in the work, so that is perhaps why. And how do I know he was closely involved? Well, he was so closely involved that he actually has a small role in the movie. I'm rambling a bit here though, so I'll get to the point... It's a really good movie, and I think you should try to get to watch it. Especially if you're a fan of movies containing magic, fantasy, and impossible things that could never really happen in a million years happening.

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

This looks like a great movie. Will have to keep it in mind. Thanks! :)

Toriz said...

AK:
It was; you're welcome! :)

Rita said...

Aha! I found it in the Netflix instant movies. I can watch it after I watch the DVD I got in the mail yesterday (Burn Notice series). I watched the trailer and it looks pretty cute. :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
Well, if you watch it, I hope you enjoy it!

Rita said...

Okay--I watched it. Cute, funny, and a bit campy--but it just ended right in the middle of something? I didn't know this was going to have sequels. Or at least it should have because it had no ending. Huh? I was confused.

Toriz said...

Rita:
It's a two part movie.

Rita said...

Aha again! I'll have to look for the second part. Want to see how it ends. ;)

Intense Guy said...

Sounds like something I should watch soon - it might pick me up a little.

Toriz said...

Rita:
Yeah; sorry should have mentioned that. Thing is, it's based on the first two books from the series, and at the end of the first book was a huge cliff hanger type ending, so to get the whole story you really need to see the second part. Hope you can locate and watch it!

Iggy:
Yes, I think you would enjoy it.