Friday, June 03, 2011

Pagan/Wiccan Resources

I decided to write a post for this week's Pagan blog prompt. The prompt is as follows:

"Prompt: Resources

Today, let's share some of our favorite Pagan resources for anyone that might need a little help finding answers....

If you can, list at least one of each of the following:
- Book (title and author, ISBN if you have the book on hand)
- Website (name and URL)
- regular Publication (magazine, newsletter, etc)
- Person that you have spoken with (can be a Pagan celebrity or just someone you know in your community that has helped you out a lot).

List any other resources you'd like to share with us as well. It never hurts to have too much information :)"

I figured this would be a good way to start off my resolution of talking more about my beliefs on my blog and focusing more on them in general, so... Let me see...

Most of the information I've used in the past - or posted on my blog in the past - comes from various different resources. However, there are a few I return to frequently. In today's post I will be visiting some of those resources. Don't worry, this isn't going to be one of my famous marathon posts or anything like that... LOL!

So, let me see...

There are two books I always considered to be - for lack of a better term - my bibles. They are the books I've most missed being able to read, and the books I was most excited about discovering as pdfs. Those books are:

*"Wicca: A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham
*"Buckland's Complete Book Of Witchcraft" by Raymond Buckland

Both books can be found on the link I posted for free pdfs yesterday if you want to know more about them. I was going to copy the pieces of text about them to put in this post, but I'm afraid it wont let me, so you will have to go there if you want to read more about them. I've had copies since I was in my mid teens - the exact copies are sitting on the shelves with the other books I passed over to Kelly when I lost my eyesight - and I have read both many, many times.

The main websites I get my information from are The Celtic Connection's Wiccan pages,and the Pagan Parenting website (especially for stories and fun activities). But quite often I will just type something in to a search engine and see what comes up. I suppose really it depends what I'm looking for to which of those options I go with. The first articles I posted for each of the Pagan holidays, if I'm not mistaken, came from the Celtic Connection website, since it was my first choice to go to find information. Like I said though, it depends what I'm looking for, since the Pagan parenting website has several fun ideas for activities (let's face it, sometimes you want a little fun activity thrown in with your rituals) and it also has several sweet - or I think they're sweet - stories. But sometimes I go looking for something new, and then a random search is the best way to come up with something.

Anyway...

When it comes to magazines, there's only one that I even know of, it's Witches' Voice Inc.. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but that's the only one I've found so far. Mind you, I have to admit I haven't done much in the way of looking for magazines.

I used to also be a member of a couple of online groups where we shared information, discussed things going on in our lives - be they related to Paganism, Wicca or witchcraft, or be they simply every day events - but the change made by MSN to their groups happened at a time when I was more concerned with things going on in my every day life than I was in keeping that connection alive, so I never followed them when the MSN group was moved to another server. With the exception of my husband and one of my uncles I haven't ever met another Pagan face to face (that I know of) and since I rarely speak to my uncle, this drastically limits my options for people to speak to offline, since people who aren't Pagan - though sometimes interested in hearing about my beliefs - don't tend to be able to offer any Pagan/Wiccan information in return.

I do talk to anyone who is interested in learning/hearing about my beliefs though. After all, if they are interested in listening, then I see no reason not to provide the information. You never know, it may help to spread the message that Pagans are good people too!

9 comments:

Rita said...

I don't know much about pagans--but there are obviously good ones. ;)

Glad you got your books back. Maybe you could find some other pagan group online that you'd like, too? I'm sure it's like any religious group--depends on who's in charge or deeply involved.

Yes, I have been feeling more connected since last December. I just haven't been talking about it that much. It's an internal shift in focus, I guess. I am still journaling and reading books, etc. Feels good! :):)

Happy for you. *hugs*

Toriz said...

Rita:
Thanks! :)

Yes; it's like any group - religeous or otherwise - there are good ones, and there are bad ones! :)

That's great to hear! Hope it continues that way for you; whether you talk about it or not. :)

AliceKay said...

There is good and bad in every aspect of life. When you find the good, you are miles ahead of everything else. *hugs*

Toriz said...

Rita:
I forgot to add that I've found a couple of promising Pagan bloggers, so I'm hoping to be able to share information, ritual ideas, etc with them. And, who knows, maybe make some new friends along the way! :)

AK:
Very well said! :) *Hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I hope you find some friends along the way! Lots of bloggers out there... surely some good/nice ones.

Toriz said...

Iggy:
There have to be some nice ones out there... Just gotta find them! :)

Susan said...

Nice to meet you...I am new on my pagan witch path.
Thank you for the resources listed. and I am glad to have found your blog :)
Susan (ForestIsis)

Toriz said...

Suzan:
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Nice to meet you too! :)

Connie Mitan said...

Thanks for sharing with us at Pagan Blog Prompts!
~Sunfire