Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 2011 lunar eclipse

"A total lunar eclipse will take place on June 15, 2011. It is the first of two total lunar eclipses in 2011, the second occurring on December 10.

It is a relatively rare central eclipse where the moon passes in front of the center of the Earth's shadow. The last lunar eclipse closer to the center of the earth's shadow was on July 16, 2000. The next central total lunar eclipse will be on July 27, 2018."

Click here to read the rest of the article.

So, tonight we have a full moon, and a lunar eclipse; I bet there will be plenty of people out watching the skies tonight! :)

10 comments:

barefoot gardener said...

I won't be. It's raining. Seems it has rained every full moon all spring and summer... grrrrr.

Toriz said...

Barefoot:
Raining here too! Beautiful and sunny yesterday, but - of course - raining today! Was going to get Kelly to attempt photos at the points where it was worthwhile, but I think it will be too cloudy to do that today. Figures! Bet it will be lovely again tomorrow or something. LOL!

The Coexist Cafe said...

Oh, you'll be in the right spot for it, too! We won't get it here in North America this time around, but I'm REALLY looking forward to photos from those who can see it. :)

Blessed Esbat!

Toriz said...

Stephanie:
If it's clear enough I'll see what I can do about organizing photos. But if the clouds don't start thinning we'll see nothing! :(

ChicagoLady said...

You Tube has a live feed from a telescope on the Canary Islands.

Rita said...

Whether we're supposed to be able to see it or not over here is a moot point. Nothing but clouds and rain here. :(

AliceKay said...

I love watching those things. :)

Toriz said...

Chicago:
Yeah, I know. I wanted photos though!

Rita:
Always raining when you don't want it to be, eh?

AK:
Don't blame you!

Intense Guy said...

I love howling at the full moon..

..err.. I like seeing eclipses.

Toriz said...

*Chuckles at Iggy*

That's OK, you howl away! :)