Well, would you look at that. There are sky boats. LOL! They're actually called 'airships' but it's close enough. Anyway, my Grandma told me they exist so I did a search online and came up with this..
.
"Early balloons were not truly navigable. Attempts to improve maneuverability included elongating the balloon's shape and using a powered screw to push it through the air.
Thus the airship (also called a dirigible) a lighter-than-air craft (or LTA craft) with propulsion and steering systems was born. Credit for the construction of the first navigable full-sized airship goes to French engineer, Henri Giffard, who, in 1852, attached a small, steam-powered engine to a huge propeller and chugged through the air for seventeen miles at a top speed of five miles per hour.
However, it was not until the invention of the gasoline-powered engine in 1896 that practical airships could be built. In 1898, the Brazilian Alberto Santos-Dumont was the first to construct and fly a gasoline-powered airship. Arriving in Paris in 1897, Alberto Santos-Dumont first made a number of flights with free balloons and also purchased a motorized tricycle. He thought of combining the De Dion engine that powered his tricycle with a balloon, which resulted in 14 small airships that were all gasoline-powered. His No. 1 airship first flew on September 18, 1898."
I'm told there are also things called sky busses - I think that's a plane? - and I think they are a cool idea too. Now all we need is for the hover car to be invented. It's only a matter of time now! I bet people still wont want me to drive even then though. lol!
Tori
.
"Early balloons were not truly navigable. Attempts to improve maneuverability included elongating the balloon's shape and using a powered screw to push it through the air.Thus the airship (also called a dirigible) a lighter-than-air craft (or LTA craft) with propulsion and steering systems was born. Credit for the construction of the first navigable full-sized airship goes to French engineer, Henri Giffard, who, in 1852, attached a small, steam-powered engine to a huge propeller and chugged through the air for seventeen miles at a top speed of five miles per hour.
However, it was not until the invention of the gasoline-powered engine in 1896 that practical airships could be built. In 1898, the Brazilian Alberto Santos-Dumont was the first to construct and fly a gasoline-powered airship. Arriving in Paris in 1897, Alberto Santos-Dumont first made a number of flights with free balloons and also purchased a motorized tricycle. He thought of combining the De Dion engine that powered his tricycle with a balloon, which resulted in 14 small airships that were all gasoline-powered. His No. 1 airship first flew on September 18, 1898."
I'm told there are also things called sky busses - I think that's a plane? - and I think they are a cool idea too. Now all we need is for the hover car to be invented. It's only a matter of time now! I bet people still wont want me to drive even then though. lol!
Tori
2 comments:
see told you so dint i . lol .
grandma x
You only told me so you could get to say 'I told you so'... didn't you? LOL!
Post a Comment