Sunday, September 24, 2006

How old is Nessie?

My new question was about how old the Loch Ness monster is, and so, I went searching the web once again and came back with this little bit of info.

Nessie was first spotted by the Vikings - Celtic and Norse folklore has stories of water horses seen in the lochs. The first written account of a meeting with Nessie seems to be that of Adamnan in 565 A.D. He describes St. Columba's sighting of a very large monster in Loch Ness.

Legend tells of how St. Columba heard about the monster's murder of a man and how he rowed out to the centre of the loch to order the beast to desist from such attacks in the future. Ever since that time, Nessie has never been known to have repeated its misdemeanour.

So - going from the first written account of Nessie - if my calculations are correct, the Loch Ness monster must be at least 1441 years old.

Tori

4 comments:

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

well who is a clever bunny then , i must say tori you really are getting very-very good at your reseaching's.
grandma x

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

and that should have said researching.s oops sorry .
grandma x

Anonymous said...

I got what you meant, lol

Kerry said...

I didn't even see the mistake when I read it lol
Hi Grandma!